DIY Calibration panels for HP/David

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Farquarl

DIY Calibration panels for HP/David

Post by Farquarl » 09 Oct 2018, 04:21

Hello,

I would be really glad if some of you could share how they build their calibration panels.
I am not statisfied with mine, the scans get warped and are therfore hard to align.

Best regards,
Thore

Micr0

Re: DIY Calibration panels for HP/David

Post by Micr0 » 09 Oct 2018, 15:39

I've used a number of different methods to make panels ranging from 60mm to 1000mm. The best panels (the ones that produce the most accurate scans I made on one of my VMCs. The smaller ones I made by milling away white vinyl that was layered over 2 layers of black vinyl on glass plates. The larger ones were made from white Laminate Melamine and I milled the circles .1mm deep, then filled then with black paint. These were held by 3D printed holders for the small panels and CNC'd Aluminum holders for the larger ones. I''v tried printing patterns with a laser printer, Roland vinyl cutter and having anodized aluminum laser engraved. None were as accurate as the CNC'd parts.
µ

Farquarl

Re: DIY Calibration panels for HP/David

Post by Farquarl » 11 Oct 2018, 04:40

Thank you for your input!
I don't own a vmc sadly but i'll buy a CNC router. Maybe i should go this route than. I want to scan really small items and therefore precision of the panels ist crucial.
Is there a list of sone sort that shows the important factors?
90° is important ofc and the distance between the dots as well. But what ist about the distance between the twp sides of the panel, their rotation and alignment?

Cheers