FlexScan3D modified Version (perfect support for Directshow and WebCam)

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
mading

Re: FlexScan3D modified Version (perfect support for Directshow and WebCam)

Post by mading »

greenskynet wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 14:55 thank you madin for your suggestion 😍😍
I just searched about Esp8266 , it is a Wi-Fi microchip, and it has microcontroller capability, that means it is something like a Arduino + WiFi module.
it is very interesting. but I think it is not a common board. is it available in all locations and countries? its origin is China.
ESP32 has better performances:
https://www.espressif.com/en/products/socs/esp32
You can find it almost everywhere: amazon, aliexpress, ebay...

An interesting application to a 360 photo turntable, developed outside of the arduino IDE:
https://github.com/MakerDrive/PhotoPizza

edit: I just realized that photopizza.org in no longer available. I built one for fun and it is a nice turntable, but never used for 3D scanning.
Btw ESP modules are quite common, for instance in the house automation. You can find them in commercial switches (shelly, sonoff, and so on). And you can use them for "hacking" cheap IKEA IOT stuff.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

New Update is ready 😎
in this update I focused on automation and turntable.

1-I've added a GUI control for two axis turntable. Now it is very convenient to control the turntable manually and full automatically.
2-Now natively I have support for HP/David turntable in modified version of FlexScan3D. it is a good news for old HP/David users who migrated to FlexScan3D software.
3-linear axis table is available (I will prepare hardware and make a tutorial for it).

Turntable.jpg
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Two Axis Rotary Turntable
This is a demonstration of automatic calibration and scanning process on a two axis turntable in modified version of FlexScan3D.
I recorded this video some months ago.
now we have Tow Axis Rotary table controller based on Arduino and it is very easy to assemble and use.

the calibration process on this video took too much time, because I didn't have a suitable bigger calibration panel. My calibration Panel was small, so for calibration I must takes several times more calibration photos.
This table and calibration panel was designed to scan objects in size of smaller than 1cm, but here I scanned a large object (4cm) on it, so the calibration process was involved some few manual steps too (manually moving the table to fill the whole of the cameras FOV with calibration table).

so by using a suitable calibration panel size, the calibration process time can be reduced down to less than 1 minute.

Also you can see my new GUI for controlling the two axis turntable. It is very convenient and you can use this GUI to manually rotate the object and scan it in arbitrary positions without losing the correct position and alignment.
in next updates I will show you the automatic linear table and its combination with turntable.

watch the Video 😍😍😍: https://youtu.be/ODXyrpIBA0c

photo_2023-02-18_21-55-15.jpg
Macro 3_A.jpg
Luk

Post by Luk »

Hi,

i want to build a SL scanner based on FlexScan3D.I already brought three used Baumer TXG20 cameras. Up to now, i have not seen anybody using this cameras for a 3D Scanner, but they were super cheap and the specs are promising (2MP, Global Shutter). Can i use these cameras with the original version of FlexScan or do i need the modified Version of FlexScan.

I hope you can help me...
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Luk wrote: 21 May 2023, 13:39 Hi,

i want to build a SL scanner based on FlexScan3D.I already brought three used Baumer TXG20 cameras. Up to now, i have not seen anybody using this cameras for a 3D Scanner, but they were super cheap and the specs are promising (2MP, Global Shutter). Can i use these cameras with the original version of FlexScan or do i need the modified Version of FlexScan.

I hope you can help me...
HI Luk
surely they are not supported in original FlexScan3D, but i think they are supported in modified version of FlexScan3D. please contact me via Telegram to check them more accurately
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

new Update: color scans using DSLR cameras 😍😎

In this update I've added two new modules to the software for supporting a wide range of DSLR cameras in two different mode (Live mode and Photo mode).

Now in Modified version of FlexScan3D many of DSLR cameras are supported, including:
1-Canon DSLR
2-Nikon DSLR
3-Sony DSLR

You can use the DSLR cameras in two different modes:
1- Live View mode: in this mode software grab images from Live View line of the camera. These Live View images are usually low resolution, but capturing speed is high, and mechanical shutter of the camera will not be involved in this mode.
2- Photo mode: in this mode camera take high resolution photos and mechanical shutter of the camera blink for each photo capturing. in this mode you can achieve very high resolution color scans.

in new update of Modified version of FlexScan3D, you have access to cameras settings via software interface directly, including:
ISO
F-Stop
Exposure Time
White Balance

Modified version of FlexScan3D has a unique feature that allow you to use a third color camera for advanced color 3D scanning.
This is very important feature, because usually camera settings for geometry capturing is completely different than cameras settings for colors and texture capturing. Also resolution of cameras for geometry capturing usually doesn't exceed 6MP, but for texture capturing, we can use 50MP DSLR cameras too.
So you can scan the object with monochrome cameras which are better for geometry capturing, and then use the third color camera to capture the colors and texture of the object with specified settings and adjustments.

Watch this video for more details: https://youtu.be/yk68eARGIuw

DSLR FlexScan3D.jpg
Canon FlexScan3D .jpg
Also you can follow us in our Telegram group to meet more scan results: https://t.me/DIY_3D_Scanner
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

greenskynet wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 21:16 new Update: color scans using DSLR cameras 😍😎

In this update I've added two new modules to the software for supporting a wide range of DSLR cameras in two different mode (Live mode and Photo mode).

Now in Modified version of FlexScan3D many of DSLR cameras are supported, including:
1-Canon DSLR
2-Nikon DSLR
3-Sony DSLR

You can use the DSLR cameras in two different modes:
1- Live View mode: in this mode software grab images from Live View line of the camera. These Live View images are usually low resolution, but capturing speed is high, and mechanical shutter of the camera will not be involved in this mode.
2- Photo mode: in this mode camera take high resolution photos and mechanical shutter of the camera blink for each photo capturing. in this mode you can achieve very high resolution color scans.

in new update of Modified version of FlexScan3D, you have access to cameras settings via software interface directly, including:
ISO
F-Stop
Exposure Time
White Balance

Modified version of FlexScan3D has a unique feature that allow you to use a third color camera for advanced color 3D scanning.
This is very important feature, because usually camera settings for geometry capturing is completely different than cameras settings for colors and texture capturing. Also resolution of cameras for geometry capturing usually doesn't exceed 6MP, but for texture capturing, we can use 50MP DSLR cameras too.
So you can scan the object with monochrome cameras which are better for geometry capturing, and then use the third color camera to capture the colors and texture of the object with specified settings and adjustments.

Watch this video for more details: https://youtu.be/yk68eARGIuw

DSLR FlexScan3D.jpg
Canon FlexScan3D .jpg

Also you can follow us in our Telegram group to meet more scan results: https://t.me/DIY_3D_Scanner
This is very interesting. Bought a relatively inexpensive cannon DSLRs to try with "lets scan", Which assembled high resolution still captures of the projected David SLS pattern. The resolution and detail were great, However the process was extremely slow. This also now accesses the quality and wide choice of DSLR lenses.
µ
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Micr0 wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 15:35 This is very interesting. Bought a relatively inexpensive cannon DSLRs to try with "lets scan", Which assembled high resolution still captures of the projected David SLS pattern. The resolution and detail were great, However the process was extremely slow. This also now accesses the quality and wide choice of DSLR lenses.
Hi Micr0
in this new update of modified version of FlexScan3D, you can use DSLR cameras in two mode, Photo Mode and Live View mode.
in Live View mode, resolution of camera is low and it is about 20fps. so scanning speed is good.
in Photo mode, software take photos by camera and it takes more time, but fortunately you can reduce resolution of the DSLR cameras as low as to 2MP. so you can increase scanning speed.
Finally DSLR cameras are a good choice for texture capturing because they capture colors perfectly, but I think they are not a good choice for mesh and geometry capturing (but you can use them for mesh and geometry capturing too).

meanwhile DSLR lenses are a wrong choice for 3D scanning. They are not rigid. their mechanical design has large clearances which is acceptable for photography, but not possible for 3D scanning. any small shake to the scanner setup can change parameters of the lens and leads to calibration failure.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

greenskynet wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 21:06
Micr0 wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 15:35 This is very interesting. Bought a relatively inexpensive cannon DSLRs to try with "lets scan", Which assembled high resolution still captures of the projected David SLS pattern. The resolution and detail were great, However the process was extremely slow. This also now accesses the quality and wide choice of DSLR lenses.
Hi Micr0
in this new update of modified version of FlexScan3D, you can use DSLR cameras in two mode, Photo Mode and Live View mode.
in Live View mode, resolution of camera is low and it is about 20fps. so scanning speed is good.
in Photo mode, software take photos by camera and it takes more time, but fortunately you can reduce resolution of the DSLR cameras as low as to 2MP. so you can increase scanning speed.
Finally DSLR cameras are a good choice for texture capturing because they capture colors perfectly, but I think they are not a good choice for mesh and geometry capturing (but you can use them for mesh and geometry capturing too).

meanwhile DSLR lenses are a wrong choice for 3D scanning. They are not rigid. their mechanical design has large clearances which is acceptable for photography, but not possible for 3D scanning. any small shake to the scanner setup can change parameters of the lens and leads to calibration failure.
I've had excellent results with DSLR lenses. Mostly because they are very low distortion. You can get a very high quality used lens for a fraction of the cost of the high quality CCTV lens
µ
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

My 4 Axis Table 😎😍
this is my 4 axis spacecraft, including two rotary axis and two linear axis.
it is a big progress for full automatic calibration and scanning for bigger object sizes.

All the axis are controlled by the software, via Scripts and also GUI. For linear axis I used timing belt and pulleys, so it can move in X and Y direction. in next updates we can add a Z axis too to cover more tall objects for scanning.

These functions and features are only available in Modified Version of FlexScan3D.

Watch this video of my 4 axis table performance in automatic calibration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKMmqSXm4sY
in my next video, I will scan a miniature (Figure) on this 4 axis table!

FlexScan3D Rotary linear Table.jpg
https://youtu.be/tKMmqSXm4sY

for more information please join us on Telegram:
https://t.me/DIY_3D_Scanner