Software Synchronization of Projector and Camera for Structured Light 3D

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Curiousjeff

Re: Software Synchronization of Projector and Camera for Structured Light 3D

Post by Curiousjeff »

Micr0,

Thanks for the link to the TI forum.

I am uncertain about the help that synchronization could bring.

I believe that David uses a "static" approach, which means that the same pattern is projected a few times before moving onto the next.

In his reply:

"
To show you what I mean, I setup my projector to project a simple RGB ramp at 60Hz and my camera at 60Hz. You can see in the GIF below that there is are differences between capture frames even though their frame rates are supposedly equal to each other.

It is possible to adjust the frame rates until they are as closely matched as possible, but using triggers is the simplest solution is to guarantee proper synchronization."

He seems to say that the synchronization would be easier with trigger but that can be obtained by fine tuning the fps and/or shutter.

Basically, with a static projected image, once FPS and shutter is adjusted at best, would a trigger improve the situation ? This could can "easily" be tested without David, but would require sync hardware.

Jeff