Lines in Scans

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Tru3DScans

Lines in Scans

Post by Tru3DScans »

Here are the lines I am getting in my scan:
lines_in_scans_01.jpg
When I fuse these scans, with smoothing I can get most of the lines to almost disappear but at the cost of less sharp edges on the object. I would rather not have the lines in the first place. I have the HP 2 camera system but can only scan with 1 camera currently.

Is this a normal amount of lines for a 'good' scan or is there something I can do to further eliminate these lines?

Would having the 2nd camera participate in the scan eliminate or reduce the lines?

Thanks!
Mike

HP 3D Scan Pro, Dual-Camera, turntable, arm, pitch-black room
Micr0

Re: Lines in Scans

Post by Micr0 »

IDK. Let me search the forums for you. :D
µ
Tru3DScans

Post by Tru3DScans »

I have found many posts referring to line artifacts, wave artifacts, & noise but very few with an established solution. I don't 'see' lines/artifacts/noise shown in my camera images very often so it's hard to know when they will appear in the process. If you or someone has installed sync generators or something which syncs the cameras & projector and eliminates these issues, I sure would love to hear about it!

At the moment, the lines are not showing up in my scans but rather I'm dealing with roughness or noise in surfaces that should be smooth like the real objects.

Thanks!
Mike

HP 3D Scan Pro, Dual-Camera, turntable, arm, pitch-black room
Stive_Rad0

Post by Stive_Rad0 »

same problem for me.
these narrow lines are not the result of asynchronous of Cameras and projector (those lines are wider). these lines are created by weak scanning process.
to solve the problem, scan in quality mode or in custom mode, increase "noise reduction" value. also you can try scanning in both setup (H & V) and increase angle of projector-cameras.