How to Reduce Noise in Scans?

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Tru3DScans

How to Reduce Noise in Scans?

Post by Tru3DScans »

I am currently trying to figure out how to reduce noise in scan surfaces. I have surfaces that are very smooth, yet the resulting scans show these areas with a mild roughness or noise.

In the cases where I have spray coated the objects, there are a few spray blobs but most of the surface is smooth, yet the resulting scans show the mild roughness or noise. In the resulting scans, the smooth areas are rougher and the blobs seem larger than they actually are.

Here are some images showing the problem:
noise_in_scans_03.jpg
noise_in_scans_01.jpg
noise_in_scans_02.jpg
In particular, on the soap label... the label is perfectly smooth with no roughness. Yet the scan shows a roughness in this area.

These scans are done in a pitch black room using both cameras and using a Custom preset which is basically the 'Quality' preset with a noise reduction of 2. (There are no artifacts seen in the camera views during these scans).

Is there anything further I can do to get these smooth areas perfectly smooth in the scans?

Thanks!
Mike

HP 3D Scan Pro, Dual-Camera, turntable, arm, pitch-black room
Tru3DScans

Re: How to Reduce Noise in Scans?

Post by Tru3DScans »

Also, another overall question is, is this the smoothest scan surface I can get with the HP SLS technology at this point?

Thanks!
Mike

HP 3D Scan Pro, Dual-Camera, turntable, arm, pitch-black room
Stive_Rad0

Re: How to Reduce Noise in Scans?

Post by Stive_Rad0 »

Hi
one of the biggest reason for noises is the high value of Gain or ISO of your cameras. reduce these values and compensate it by increasing camera aperture or brightness of projector.