HP 3D scan and 4K cameras

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Micr0

Re: HP 3D scan and 4K cameras

Post by Micr0 »

OBNRacerMan wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 19:38 In David 3 cameras had a resolution of only (if I am not mistaken) 1920x1080.
When working with high-resolution cameras, we are faced with the problem of the size of the pixel projected by the projector onto the object - these 5.1MP and 6.3MP cameras see these pixels quite well, and reducing the resolution of such a camera will not help when scanning - there is no interpolation in them, i.e. lower resolution is obtained from the partial use of the pixels of the camera sensor.
Cameras, initially having lower resolution, seem to “smear” the pixels of the projector.
Therefore, I think that, in my case, using a high-resolution projector can improve the quality of the scan. But I can’t test this hypothesis in practice yet.
I have found the 1920X1200 resolution of my cameras to be quite adequate and I have said that IMO the projector is the weakest link in our systems. The "window screen" of the DLP array causes noise in the surface. High end, purpose built scanners (artec Creaform etc.) seem to use single projected images that are more like projected slides. I thought laser projectors would be better in this respect, but the highly polarized light seems to add it's own problems to scanning.
µ
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Micr0 wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 13:25 The "window screen" of the DLP array causes noise in the surface. High end, purpose built scanners (artec Creaform etc.) seem to use single projected images that are more like projected slides.
I agree - the slide will produce much less spurious noise (but at the same time they have a serious limitation on the total number and shape of the patterns). Here, for example, the principle of forming patterns from a slide is shown.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
Rashiga

Post by Rashiga »

Guys what about LED projectors, they seem to be using somewhat similar projection ones shown in AICON scanner. I'm not referring to 3 LED projectors but a single LED projector. Since LED projectors are cheap I think you can use a high-resolution projector with lesser cost.

Also, there are no diamond pixels since the LCD screen is positioned vertically.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Rashiga wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 03:42 Guys what about LED projectors, they seem to be using somewhat similar projection ones shown in AICON scanner. I'm not referring to 3 LED projectors but a single LED projector. Since LED projectors are cheap I think you can use a high-resolution projector with lesser cost.

Also, there are no diamond pixels since the LCD screen is positioned vertically.
The LG I use is LED not DLP. There is still a window screen. Not sure if this is the case with all LED projectors.
µ