Questions about David scanner sls-3

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
letstry001

Questions about David scanner sls-3

Post by letstry001 »

hi,
i have a david scanner sls-3 and i have some question about:

1) May i have a particular mount to substitute the projector Acer k132 with an Optoma ml750e on the david scan sls-3 system? In detail: may i need a socket with a partucular mount angle for projector Optoma ml750e on the bar?

2) Is it normal that the scanning process sometime is slow and sometimes is fast (using HP 3D Scan Software Pro v5)? Is It related to calibration process (good/not goot) ? Ps: I have a fast notebook (with i7 th gen with 8 core,8gb ram,ssd, gtx 1050,usb3)

3) I noticed that in some posts you suggest to see the debug panel to undestand if the projector/camera are correctly
configured. Could you explain me what are the perfect angles that i must to have?

4) How can i test if the David Scan calibration panel is perfect or damaged/curved?

5) I use 2 default sls-3 cameras ( "DAVID-CAM-4-M") with Computar lens. (8",12" ,25") and the projector Optoma ml750e to scan litle objects max 12cm. What do you suggest to increase the scan details? (What it is better to change?)

6) (Example) If i try to scan a cube, i'm in trouble with faces allignments. How to solve? Markers? If so, where can i found them or how can i build them?

Thank you for your time!
OBNRacerMan

Re: Questions about David scanner sls-3

Post by OBNRacerMan »

1. Scanning in HP3DScan is difficult because of some features used in this program. The system is extremely dependent on the accuracy of the 90 ° angle between the calibration panels (the RMS error value is shown in the program log and the smaller it is, the better (although personally, when I used this program, I never got less than 0.4 RMS)). But I only had homemade calibration tables.
This principle of calibration has one big plus - the "angle" calibration is very fast.
2. The size of the scanned object should be (ideally) commensurate with the applied table. The highest accuracy is obtained only in the central part of the frame (in the picture this place is shown in green).
scan region
scan region
3. Markers are not supported in this program. In the best case, you can put some additional marks on the object itself (or around it) - this helps to facilitate folding the scans into a single model.
4. The best result is obtained when using two cameras - they allow (up to a certain limit) to compensate for distortions and inaccuracies of calibration (but this does not apply to the "Extended" mode - there are just two "normal" scans)
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
Micr0

Re: Questions about David scanner sls-3

Post by Micr0 »

letstry001 wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 18:30 hi,
i have a david scanner sls-3 and i have some question about:

1) May i have a particular mount to substitute the projector Acer k132 with an Optoma ml750e on the david scan sls-3 system? In detail: may i need a socket with a partucular mount angle for projector Optoma ml750e on the bar?
The angle of the projector is determined by placing the projected image in the field of view of the cameras. there is not optimum angle there. There is also no optimum angle between the cameras and the projector. However the smaller the angle the less accurate, and below 15deg you may not get successful calibration.
2) Is it normal that the scanning process sometime is slow and sometimes is fast (using HP 3D Scan Software Pro v5)? Is It related to calibration process (good/not goot) ? Ps: I have a fast notebook (with i7 th gen with 8 core,8gb ram,ssd, gtx 1050,usb3)
In settings, make sure the prevent processor Idle state option is uchecked.

3) I noticed that in some posts you suggest to see the debug panel to undestand if the projector/camera are correctly
configured. Could you explain me what are the perfect angles that i must to have?

4) How can i test if the David Scan calibration panel is perfect or damaged/curved?

5) I use 2 default sls-3 cameras ( "DAVID-CAM-4-M") with Computar lens. (8",12" ,25") and the projector Optoma ml750e to scan litle objects max 12cm. What do you suggest to increase the scan details? (What it is better to change?)

6) (Example) If i try to scan a cube, i'm in trouble with faces allignments. How to solve? Markers? If so, where can i found them or how can i build them?

Thank you for your time!
Flat featureless and thin surfaces can be difficult to align. some small object near the model or on the turntable can help as a reference. yYou may have to manually align the scans using the point to point selection method.
µ