Flexscan3D with IS cameras

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
mading

Re: Flexscan3D with IS cameras

Post by mading »

contactpolyga wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 21:42 Personally i would not get that particular daheng camera,

1) it's rolling shutter, - we only recommend global shutter
Unfortunately all the HP cameras shows rolling shutter, also my IS 23UX236 (that is where davcam comes from).
Do we need an hw trigger?

Btw, I am impressed by the speed in the acquisition of FS when compared to HP and RV.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

Hw trigger is not needed rolling shutter can be used but the data quality takes a hit unless you scan real slow.
mading

Post by mading »

Thanks Polyga.
Micr0 has global shutter cameras, as far as I remember.
Mine are rolling.
The Daheng I use with RV have a Sony IMX178, rolling shutter too.
Looking forward to see the supported cameras list.

I had a few issues generating the mesh and getting the native projector resolution.
Looking forward to solve those.
Sometime (not always) I succeeded in creating meshes, but with vertical artifacts.
I understand I have to learn the FS3D peculiar features, that different from the other software I used.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

mading wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 20:45 Thanks Polyga.
Micr0 has global shutter cameras, as far as I remember.
Mine are rolling.
The Daheng I use with RV have a Sony IMX178, rolling shutter too.
Looking forward to see the supported cameras list.

I had a few issues generating the mesh and getting the native projector resolution.
Looking forward to solve those.
Sometime (not always) I succeeded in creating meshes, but with vertical artifacts.
I understand I have to learn the FS3D peculiar features, that different from the other software I used.
My Cameras so have global shutters.

You reminded me of something I noticed but am not sure matters. In Flex my projector is called out as 1280x720 when it is a native 1080p projector.
µ
mading

Post by mading »

Micr0 wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:22 You reminded me of something I noticed but am not sure matters. In Flex my projector is called out as 1280x720 when it is a native 1080p projector.
Same issue, I guess this will need to be clarified.

Have you got some test to share?
If the rolling is a problem, you should be able to scan easily than with David Cam or rolling IS.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

This is my first scan with Flex. It's the gear case I scanned and posted a month ago. https://www.3dscanforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2180
Trying the compare apples to apples. As I said earlier, This was a real halfassed calibration and you can see it's only a small number of scans. I only rotated it one revolution at one camera angle just to get a semi complete model. I also took all the error rejection off so there are a lot of funky surfaces and floating artifacts (what I call sniglets). When I have time I'm going to start over with a complete calibration and more careful scanning and see what happens.
GearCaseFlex1.jpg
µ
mading

Post by mading »

As usual, you make nice scans.
That is encouraging for the scanner DIY community!
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

Micr0 wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:22
My Cameras so have global shutters.

You reminded me of something I noticed but am not sure matters. In Flex my projector is called out as 1280x720 when it is a native 1080p projector.
You probably want to change that projector resolution to it's native resolution. Via HDMI pretty much any resolution should work.... FS3D will just pickup what it's extended to, so just change your 2nd monitor resolution to match.

If not, please send in a bug report to support for someone to look at, but it should work... :(
mading

Post by mading »

thanks to the feedback of polyga, I tweaked the delay parameter (I guess it's the only one we can change, while in David you can get lost in them).
The estimate made with the botton "Estimate" gave 60.
I add to increase it to 180 to get all the data with my rolling shutter cameras.
240 won't hurt, the scan is way faster than in David.

You can find it in the right panel, just below the "advanced" option above the cameras
first_scan.png
martan

Post by martan »

First go. Printed 20 mm chessboard on a regular paper. Taped it to something "flat".

I used all same settings that were set in the driver for my cameras and I guess it is the same setting I use in HP3dscan.

It just works. No stripes or artefacts.

I had problems with the FlexScan-program crashing at first. I have the Afterburner/Rivatuner runnning för my graphicscard.
After shutting these off all was good. Tooltips in menus is a bit off if I leave the projector on. Turned it off and all is good.

Really liked the "instant alignment" where you actually see good/bad at once.

Enjoy the good old carburettor :D

Flexscan try 1.PNG
Flexscan try 2.PNG
HP 3D Scan, Optoma ML750, 2x IS DMK 23UX236 with Computar 12mm, HP calibration panel, DIY Rotary tables.