RangeVision DIY - my rig

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
bigbomber

Re: RangeVision DIY - my rig

Post by bigbomber »

mading wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 13:46 Thanks Martan.
This is not a proper reverse engineerined part.
I consider the Quadremesh command as a very useful tool for data compression and for making things easier for the CAM step.
The previous pictures refer to a quad mesh: surfaces approximated by quadrangle mesh.

In a few clicks you can convert the quadrangles into subD or Nurbs surfaces and export the geometry as step files.
Nurbs (and step files) after conversion are far more complicated (huge number of control points).
Yes, everythig hese is solid, starting from the mesh.

My next goal is to reverse these shapes with a limited number of (editable) SubD surfaces.
A note on subdivision surfaces:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdivision_surface
The process, the software and the commands which you use to convert the mesh to STP file caught my attention.
I use CATIA for surface modeling. It is an engineering professional software. But modeling such this organic object isn't very easy to obtain editable surfaces.
Based on my experiences, it is better modeling and surfacing the organic parts using Automatic softwares (like Geomagic and now Rhino), and then split and edit surfaces in professional softwares like CATIA.
I should note that at many times the mesh files which are directly obtained from scanning process, are not suitable for automatic surface modeling due to scanning situation.
Thank you Mading for sharing these info. I'm always interested to know new faster strategies for modeling.
bigbomber

Post by bigbomber »

mading wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 17:56 Another ebony chinrest.
Almost all the surface was captured.
-16*2 scans

exposure was 750ms for the ebony, and around 150ms for the brighter parts.
Medium calibration panels is OK for these objects (for the accuracy I need).

I am interested only in the wooden part of the item.
But it's still interesting to see that the bright M3 thread was detected.

Simplification and rendering performed in Rhino 7.
The QuadRemesh tool is really promising for dealing with organic objects, together with SubD surfaces.
If it is possible, Please share the mesh file (STL file) to create a challenge between members of the forum for surface modeling of this part (please zip file to reduce its size for uploading).
mading

Post by mading »

Hi BB,
In the future I can share something (not this specific object).
That could be a good argument for a post in "Working with scan".
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable