IS cameras and Y800 - strong bayering

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
tenkidu83

IS cameras and Y800 - strong bayering

Post by tenkidu83 »

I have a solid, functioning HP-SLS rig with two ImagingSource DFK 21AU04 (Color 640x480, BY8-compression, 60fps) and a Acer K11, but I wanted to bump up my rig's resolution.

I've since bought two ImagingSource DBK 23U021 (Color 1280x960, Y800 compression, 60fps) for a bargain, but I'm noticing a strong bayering with the new cameras in HP-SLS, which uses Y800 compression, resulting in a lot of surface noise.

Is there any way to force HP-SLS to either use debayering or use a different compression alltogether (e.g. RGB32 desaturated?) for calibration and scanning? Could this issue be mitigated with drivers?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Tom
Micr0

Re: IS cameras and Y800 - strong bayering

Post by Micr0 »

tenkidu83 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 09:59 I have a solid, functioning HP-SLS rig with two ImagingSource DFK 21AU04 (Color 640x480, BY8-compression, 60fps) and a Acer K11, but I wanted to bump up my rig's resolution.

I've since bought two ImagingSource DBK 23U021 (Color 1280x960, Y800 compression, 60fps) for a bargain, but I'm noticing a strong bayering with the new cameras in HP-SLS, which uses Y800 compression, resulting in a lot of surface noise.

Is there any way to force HP-SLS to either use debayering or use a different compression alltogether (e.g. RGB32 desaturated?) for calibration and scanning? Could this issue be mitigated with drivers?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Tom
My Memory is fuzzy here but earlier versions of david allowed you to use y16 IIRC. It's gone in David v5
µ
tenkidu83

Post by tenkidu83 »

I can see a Y16 live view on the manufacturers software suite, it also has the same issue unfortunatelly...
I'll try tricking HP into using a virtual camera with some debayering activated (RGB32/64).

If that fails, I'll try having the bayer matrix removed altogether.
I know some astronomy people do this for big SLR-Sensors, and I have seen some people doing this on small-frame sensors like RasPi-Cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39UKU7niRE

Has anyone here ever tried modifying industrial camera sensors in this manner?
tenkidu83

Post by tenkidu83 »

ok, I feel like a complete tool right now :D
I've noticed that you can change the compression DIRECTLY in HP (5.2.1) just by hitting the "Change" button on the image info window (rightmost symbol on image preview).
Here I can pic a compression with debayering active (RGB24/32) It's a bit fumbly, since you have to press OK instead of APPLY to take effect.

I'll post some comparissons between scans with different debayering algorithms shortly!
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

tenkidu83 wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 11:01 ok, I feel like a complete tool right now :D
I've noticed that you can change the compression DIRECTLY in HP (5.2.1) just by hitting the "Change" button on the image info window (rightmost symbol on image preview).
Here I can pic a compression with debayering active (RGB24/32) It's a bit fumbly, since you have to press OK instead of APPLY to take effect.

I'll post some comparissons between scans with different debayering algorithms shortly!
Pleases do.
µ