David V5 extended mode: need alignment?

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Curiousjeff

David V5 extended mode: need alignment?

Post by Curiousjeff »

I am preparing for the upgrade to V. 5

In extended dual camera mode, are both scans (one from each camera) correctly placed in 3D space in relation to one another ?

Or do they need further alignment?

Jeff
Micr0

Re: David V5 extended mode: need alignment?

Post by Micr0 »

Yes and no. They are relative but not completely aligned. I find it is necessary to run pairwise fine on the first two, then aligning every subsequent to these.
µ
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

Can you please explain a bit more.

Did I understand correctly ?:

You align scan A to scan B from the first dual camera extended scan.
You then align scan A2 (from the second scan) to the previous group.
Then scan B2 to the previous group.
Etc...

Is that the procedure ?

You never align one dual scan to another directly ?

I am disappointed that David cannot produce a correctly aligned scan in dual mode.

Jeff
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

The first "scan" produces 2 scans in shape fusion. I align them to each other using "pairwise fine" Then I align scans all the scans from Camera A to previous scans from camera A and likewise from camera B. So scan 1 and 2 get aligned to each other. Then Scan 3 to 1 and 4 to 2, 5 to 3 and 6 to 4 etc.
µ
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

Thanks Micr0.

That is what I had understood.

I was hoping that the dual camera upgrade offered more in terms of alignment improvements.

That is to say that each stereo scan would perfectly aligned by default and each sequential stereo scan would align to the previous stereo one.

I guess I can just keep my fingers cross in a next upgrade....if there will be another upgrade.

Jeff
avogra
Site Admin

Post by avogra »

At least they could automagically do fine registration between the 2 scans and make a group of them. That would be usefull anyway, so you are always free to to break them up later and use them individually.
My question over at the hp forum about deviations in stereo mode hasn't got an answer yet. It seems to me that they aren't yet finished with the dual thing.
Oh, and they already released 2 updated since moving to HP, so I think they will continue improving V5.
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

I'm guessing their optimizing the stereo but if they did a post alignment after scan and combined would be nice
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Oteck wrote:I'm guessing their optimizing the stereo but if they did a post alignment after scan and combined would be nice
I have also found that using the optimize dual camera calibration feature (even with dual cameras) gives distorted scans. I never did get an answer as to why and I have no idea if they are fixing that.

But that actually brings up a question for all. Do you still have the optimize dual camera calibration option checked in the settings? If so, do you know whether it is improving your scans or distorting them?
µ