FlexScan3D modified Version (perfect support for Directshow and WebCam)

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
OBNRacerMan

Re: FlexScan3D modified Version (perfect support for Directshow and WebCam)

Post by OBNRacerMan »

As far as I know, only cameras with Global Shutter can fully and correctly work with a synchronized projector. And such a setup, in principle, will allow using a stationary SLS scanner as a manual one (if the cameras have sufficient speed - 50-500fps)
For cheaper cameras with Rolling Shutter, such work is problematic or impossible at all.
P.S. Also keep in mind that the cost of cameras with Global Shutter (at the same resolution) can be 3-5 times higher than cameras with Rolling Shutter
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

OBNRacerMan wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 13:18 As far as I know, only cameras with Global Shutter can fully and correctly work with a synchronized projector. And such a setup, in principle, will allow using a stationary SLS scanner as a manual one (if the cameras have sufficient speed - 50-500fps)
For cheaper cameras with Rolling Shutter, such work is problematic or impossible at all.
P.S. Also keep in mind that the cost of cameras with Global Shutter (at the same resolution) can be 3-5 times higher than cameras with Rolling Shutter
We can use Hardware triggering with any cameras, including Rolling shutter and Global Shutter cameras. But for a SLS scanner and even a hand held SLS scanner we don't need global shutter and high frame rate cameras at all.

Hi OBNRacerMan
nice to see your comments again 😍.
you are one of the most experiences persons in this forum, but these information you shared in this post is not correct at all.
Global shutter cameras are for frame rates higher than 200 fps and for capturing some objects which moves very fast (like a fan blades rotating at 500rpm). it refreshes the sensor faster than a rolling shutter. But for SLS scanner we don't even need more than 30fps. so a global shutter doesn't have any advantages here else than wasting money.

I think you confused SLS scanners with hand held laser scanners. In a laser scanner you should use global shutter cameras and it is not because of triggering or synchronization, but it is related to the method of sweeping the surfaces by the laser lines.
That means for a laser scanner, each frame of scan only capture few points of the surfaces (it capture only the edges of the laser lines), so for capturing whole of the surface you should move your hand fast, so you need a high frame rate global shutter camera (usually more than 200fps). Also you can use lower frame rate rolling shutter cameras, but you can't move your hands fast and scanning time increases significantly. On the other hand, SLS hand held scanners capture a large area by each scan shot, so you don't need to move your hands fast to capture whole of the surface.

Another subject is that if you even have 200 fps cameras, you can't use them for SLS scanning (you can't use more than 100 fps for SLS scanning and getting good scans. maximum acceptable value is 60 fps). I know the reason, but can you guess it too? if no, I can explain by myself.

About your second sentence, by using Hardware synchronization you can have a semi hand held scanner.

So we can use Hardware triggering with any cameras, including Rolling shutter and Global Shutter cameras. but for a SLS scanner and even a hand held SLS scanner we don't need global shutter cameras at all.

I should mention that I've also tested my hardware trigger circuit even with my 9fps Basler daA2500-14uc cameras, and I received excellent results. These Basler cameras are color and they have rolling shutter too.

now I'm using my hardware trigger and synchronization circuit with my Daheng MER2-630-60U3M cameras. They are excellent. Scan speed is incredible and now I'm working to reach my goal, a professional hand held scanner

If you want, for clarification, I can upload any documents you need, to show you how well my hardware triggering option working in my modified version of FlexScan3D 😎.
mading

Post by mading »

Since you are so skilled, why don't you make your own SLS software?
Or why don't you use open source project?
Looking forward to see your example.

It would be great if you can explaine how to trigger rolling shutter cameras, and how to sinchronize the projector.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

mading wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 12:24 Since you are so skilled, why don't you make your own SLS software?
Or why don't you use open source project?
Looking forward to see your example.

It would be great if you can explaine how to trigger rolling shutter cameras, and how to synchronize the projector.
Hi madin, thank you for your reply 😍
now I'm focusing to FlexScan software as a powerful platform, first I want to complete this project, and then I have more plans for future.

about Hardware Triggering, the basic is this: my hardware synchronization circuit board receives several signals from PC, cameras and also the projector, then process them and config accurate triggering signals. by this method I can control the whole of the hardware in a close loop system.

The good thing is that my synchronization circuit can support all projectors and all cameras. but for cameras there are some few considerations. If the camera has I/O port, I can guarantee that it is compatible with my synchronization circuit, but if It doesn't has I/O connector, I have some other solutions. I've considered all possible conditions and I have solutions for all of them 😎

Also I'm going to simplify the synchronization circuit to make it easy to be assembled for DIY kits. I want all of my clients to be able to assemble and use it well.
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

New Update😎

In this update of modified version of FlexScan3D, you can use any Dshow camera as the third camera for capturing texture and have color scan data.

before this, the user was limited to use only some few model of Nikon or Canon DSLR cameras for texture capturing. And there was no guarantee if a certain model of DSLR was supported or not (we only tested some few DSLR cams successfully).

but now I can say all cameras can be used for texture capturing. from simple cheap webcams, up to super expensive DSLR or industrial cameras 😍😍😎😎
this modification was done respect to request of some of my good clients and friends.

for more info and results, contact me via Telegram: https://t.me/DIY_3D_Scanner

T1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Two Axis Turntable 😍😍😎😎

I have developed a two axis turntable for scanning small objects from 1mm to 4cm.
it can handle both calibration and scanning process automatically.

🟢 Also by some software modifications, the scanning process time reduced on my turntable in my software version. I've changed the management process of the turntable, so while the software is processing the previous scan, the turntable start rotating and reposition the object. So there is no more wasting time for object positioning. It speed up the scan process up to 60% 😎
Modified version of FlexScan3D supports my two axis turntable directly and all of its functions can be controlled via the software GUI and settings.

here is a scan sample on my two axis turntable: Walnut
walnut 1.jpg
walnut 1.jpg
walnut 2.jpg
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

greenskynet wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 19:04 Two Axis Turntable 😍😍😎😎

I have developed a two axis turntable for scanning small objects from 1mm to 4cm.
it can handle both calibration and scanning process automatically.

🟢 Also by some software modifications, the scanning process time reduced on my turntable in my software version. I've changed the management process of the turntable, so while the software is processing the previous scan, the turntable start rotating and reposition the object. So there is no more wasting time for object positioning. It speed up the scan process up to 60% 😎
Modified version of FlexScan3D supports my two axis turntable directly and all of its functions can be controlled via the software GUI and settings.

here is a scan sample on my two axis turntable: Walnut

walnut 1.jpg

walnut 1.jpg

walnut 2.jpg
Nice. How do you control the stepper motors? What drives the drivers? Are using an arduino or other microcontroller?
µ
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Micr0 wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 20:10 Nice. How do you control the stepper motors? What drives the drivers? Are using an arduino or other microcontroller?
Hi Micr0, nice to hear from you 😍
There are two versions: one based on Arduino UNO, and the other one is based on ARM micro-controller
Software (PC) will communicate to the controller board (Arduino or ARM) via USB port, and the controller board send signal pulses to the stepper motor drivers.
ARM version also support Bluetooth wireless communication. So no need to USB port on PCs which has builtin Bluetooth module, like laptops 😎.

Also my turntable controller supports 4 axis, but I only use two axis of it.
mading

Post by mading »

greenskynet wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 21:17 There are two versions: one based on Arduino UNO, and the other one is based on ARM micro-controller
Software (PC) will communicate to the controller board (Arduino or ARM) via USB port, and the controller board send signal pulses to the stepper motor drivers.
ARM version also support Bluetooth wireless communication. So no need to USB port on PCs which has builtin Bluetooth module, like laptops 😎.
I have found small Esp8266 and Esp32 microcontrollers very useful when making simple projects.
They can be programmed with the Arduino IDE.
They support wifi and bluetooth. The ESP32 is very powerful (and cheap) compared to the Arduino boards.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

mading wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 11:21
greenskynet wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 21:17 There are two versions: one based on Arduino UNO, and the other one is based on ARM micro-controller
I have found small Esp8266 and Esp32 microcontrollers very useful when making simple projects.
They can be programmed with the Arduino IDE.
They support wifi and bluetooth. The ESP32 is very powerful (and cheap) compared to the Arduino boards.
thank you madin for your suggestion 😍😍
I just searched about Esp8266 , it is a Wi-Fi microchip, and it has microcontroller capability, that means it is something like a Arduino + WiFi module.
it is very interesting. but I think it is not a common board. is it available in all locations and countries? its origin is China.