Projector for Range Vision DIY and Daheng cameras

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
mdesign

Projector for Range Vision DIY and Daheng cameras

Post by mdesign »

I have Daheng MER2-630-60U3M cameras. What projector could you recommend to me for Range Vision DIY?

I know that RV team recommended those projectors: LG PF1500, HF60LSR Acer P1500, HB6510BD.

But those projectors are a few years old and are hard to buy on market.

I`ve thought about LG HF60LS Largo 2.0 - https://www.lg.com/de/beamer/lg-HF60LS
Do you recommend that one or there is something better/cheaper for that purpose?

I have a projector dedicated to DAVID SLS-2 K132 (modified optics) but it`s dying and there are no parts on the market to fix it. I wanted to buy also something for RV to switch from David to RV.

That LG HF60LS has got 102cm as minimal throw distance (width of the thrown frame is about 66cm at that distance). For bigger things, it`s quite ok but I worry about how to do make scans of smaller parts on it.

I scan car parts often. Sometimes 2m long, sometimes 2cm long. K132 (tuned by David team) was quite universal. I could do big parts on it and small ones too. How to do a smaller parts scan on a 60cm minimal width of the frame?

Do you modify your scanners to have a shorter throw (smaller image) or do you have another mini pocket projector for small few cm parts?

I will be grateful for any tips.

Cheers!!!
OBNRacerMan

Re: Projector for Range Vision DIY and Daheng cameras

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Hi. I'm using the predecessor - LG PF1500 - technically the LG HF60 is identical to my projector (same projection module and optics). Therefore, the real minimum distance at which the projector can focus without any additional things is 26cm. That allows it to be used in a wide range of scanning tasks - from large to the smallest details.
My final build - 1
My final build - 1
My final build - 2
My final build - 2
In terms of form factor (and overall characteristics), this is the best that exists today for creating a 3D scanner (except for specialized modules from Texas Instruments (which, by the way, contain exactly the same optical modules as those of these projectors LG, but without unnecessary additions for setting up an image for a movie - only an HDMI video input, this allows you to make a very small input lag, which directly affects the scanning speed)
Texas Instruments Lightcrafter 4710EVM
Texas Instruments Lightcrafter 4710EVM
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

Nice. Do you use some custom macro tubes for your ZLKC lenses or those extensions (back tubes between lens and camera) are possible to buy?

I see also that the camera sensor and projector lamp are not aligned in one line. In David was a need to have them in-line if I remember well.

Thanks for your post, I will buy that LG HF60 as I thought before.

Cheers!!!
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

I`ve found similar extensions for c-mount lenses. Do you have 20 or 30mm there to fit ZLKC 16mm view to your projector? It`s rather for smaller things I think: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000029 ... mainSearch

This extension shorter the focus distance and gives a more narrow look as far I know (view more close to the object). That`s why I think it might be used rather for small objects.

Which lens do you use for larger subject scans with that projector? I don`t see any 12mm lens in your rig listed in post signature (which could have a wider view). Maybe for larger scans, you remove only extension tubes and use a pure 16mm lens without extensions. Am I right?

My Dahneg cameras are still during the shipping phase.

Cheers!!!
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

mdesign wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 17:22 Nice. Do you use some custom macro tubes for your ZLKC lenses or those extensions (back tubes between lens and camera) are possible to buy?
These are not "tubes" - this is the front of the camera
mdesign wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 17:22 I see also that the camera sensor and projector lamp are not aligned in one line. In David was a need to have them in-line if I remember well.
The light from the projector comes at an angle upwards.
As a result, with a properly adjusted camera elevation angle and its height at any distance, they look at the center of the projection vertically, the rest is adjusted by moving the cameras apart.
Photo 1
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 2
Like that
Like that
photo_2021-02-18_15-27-42.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 13307 times
mdesign wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 18:51 Which lens do you use for larger subject scans with that projector? I don`t see any 12mm lens in your rig listed in post signature (which could have a wider view). Maybe for larger scans, you remove only extension tubes and use a pure 16mm lens without extensions. Am I right?
I don't scan large objects. My priorities are scanning miniature items. But there are no technical problems to install 12mm lenses.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

Thanks for your wide reply. I`ve meant about the line in top view. Your cameras are in the front of the projector not in line. But I can see that original RV bundles also have the same.

I like your setup.

Thanks a lot.

I can`t wait to try it :)

Cheers!!!