Projector modification for 3D scanning (completely essential)

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
greenskynet

Projector modification for 3D scanning (completely essential)

Post by greenskynet »

🔴 Most projectors are usually designed to focus at a distance about 70cm~6meter, and their focusing range is less than 7% of the projector-screen distance. This means that if you place object at a distance of 1 meter, the projector can only focus for a range of 7cm (from 96cm to 103cm). But what if you have a object larger than "30cm x 30cm x 30cm"? Most of the object will be out of focus and the resulting mesh will be noisy and perhaps useless.

⚠️ Also for scanning small objects such a coin, you need to place the object very close to your scanner, so your projector should be able to focus at short distances.

So if you are interested in overcoming these major problems, continue reading the rest of this post 👇👇👇

🟢 I created a tutorial video to show you how we can modify the lens of a projector to:
1- increasing its focus range, that means maintaining quality of focus for more than 40% of the projector-screen distance.
2- getting focus at close distances, for example 15cm or less. This is ideal for macro scanning.

🟠 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGsH-z3sNo 🟠

These two modifications are the most important and effective enhancements for the projector. And in future I will share more modifications for projector.😉😎
mading

Re: Projector modification for 3D scanning (completely essential)

Post by mading »

I already tried moving the lens outward in my lg pf50, it's a good idea for macro.
I like the idea of adding a diaphragm.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

mading wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 16:11 I already tried moving the lens outward in my lg pf50, it's a good idea for macro.
I like the idea of adding a diaphragm.
be sure adding a diaphragm to your projector bring your scanner to a new world!!
hoffybeefe

Post by hoffybeefe »

Good stuff! I'd like to try some mods myself!