Few questions about ScanCenter

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
mdesign

Re: Few questions about ScanCenter

Post by mdesign »

I've built my rig with proper angles. 10 degrees and 10.65.

I don`t know why after good calibration when I click SCAN I have no mesh. Empty scene. What does that mean?

Vibration detection is turned off. When I turn it on it detects vibration. Is that problem with that?
Attachments
photo1.jpg
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

With smaller aperture hole in lenses is a bit better but still, I can`t see any 3d shape. Only some noise. Do you know what it can be?
Attachments
first_try.jpg
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

I have one more question. Should I choose 16:9 or 4:3 projector ratio for those Daheng cameras?
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

Another thing which may be wrong is that the left camera is the indifferent length from the projector lens than the right one. So I assume that the projector is not a perfectly perpendicular aluminium profile.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

mdesign wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 14:22 With smaller aperture hole in lenses is a bit better but still, I can`t see any 3d shape. Only some noise. Do you know what it can be?
What is the delay (in ScanCanter's hardware settings) for the projector? I set my LG PF1500 from 80 to 150 depending on the scan area)
mdesign wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:37 I don`t know why after good calibration when I click SCAN I have no mesh. Empty scene. What does that mean?
Above wrote about the decision.
mdesign wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:37 Vibration detection is turned off. When I turn it on it detects vibration. Is that problem with that?
The projector has two fans, which by themselves already create some vibrations, besides, I see that your whole structure is on a thin "leg" that connects all this with a tripod.
mdesign wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 14:22 With smaller aperture hole in lenses is a bit better but still, I can`t see any 3d shape. Only some noise. Do you know what it can be?
The projector itself, in addition to tilting the projection upwards, also has a shift in the light flux to the left of the central axis of the lens (I don’t know why this was done)
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

The projector itself, in addition to tilting the projection upwards, also has a shift in the light flux to the left of the central axis of the lens (I don’t know why this was done)
Do you mean that projector is not perfectly centred between cameras? I`ve thought that is my error.
What is the delay (in ScanCanter's hardware settings) for the projector? I set my LG PF1500 from 80 to 150 depending on the scan area)
On the middle scan area, I`ve got 70 by default but I`ve changed it up to 100 without bigger results.
I see that your whole structure is on a thin "leg" that connects all this with a tripod
I`ve tried it also with an only tripod without the head and the effect was the same. Now I have an idea to give silicone pads under the projector to lower vibrations.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Regarding the beam shift to the side, these projectors have this scheme (pay special attention to the sketch on the right (top view))
photo_2021-11-07_20-46-27.jpg
On the middle scan area, I`ve got 70 by default but I`ve changed it up to 100 without bigger results.
When I first ran the scanner with this projector, I got, at best, only a few stripes instead of a scan. I was advised to increase the delay to 200 - and the scans began to turn out ... then I began to reduce the value, and experimentally determined that 80-90 is optimal for my settings for small scan areas that interest me the most.
When I first ran the scanner with this projector, I got, at best, only a few stripes instead of a scan. I was advised to increase the delay to 200 - and the scans began to turn out ... then I began to reduce the value, and experimentally determined that 80-90 is optimal for my settings for small scan areas that interest me the most.
Now I have an idea to give silicone pads under the projector to lower vibrations.
I somehow immediately turned off the registration of vibrations, and then did not turn it on. I don’t see the difference at all (and even if for some reason a “striped” one comes out among the other scans, it’s not difficult for me to repeat the scan of this angle)
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

Thanks. It works. I used delay 150 and 170 and it was great. I`ve noticed that with increasing temperature (camera and projector) I had to change the delay from 150 to 170 (same scene, same object, same settings).

I also added a silicone pad between the tripod and projector which really works. I feel fewer vibrations when I touch the aluminium profile.

I have a few additional questions:

1) Calibration: Is that allowed to move/pan tripod between snap calibration panels. The first three panels are great. But after changing panels with a more aggressive angle (the last three panel setups) I would prefer to move down my camera view to have calibration panels again in the centre of the camera view. I`ve read the manual but there is nothing about that.

2) Do you have any tips on how to restart cameras without plugging off cameras because I have camera freeze very often. I restart the computer because I don`t want to lose my USB ports with often plugin/plugoff. I have 5m cables maybe that is the reason why I have so often camera freeze. I have a very good SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe card (5Gb/s). Cables also should handle that speed.

3) Could you recommend to me how to run ScanCenter with Notebook. I have one USB 3.0 in my Notebook and I`m looking for some good USB HUB to use with both Daheng Cameras. For now, nothing works properly and I`m forced to use a PC instead of a Notebook.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

mdesign wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 16:27
Thanks. It works. I used delay 150 and 170 and it was great. I`ve noticed that with increasing temperature (camera and projector) I had to change the delay from 150 to 170 (same scene, same object, same settings).

I also added a silicone pad between the tripod and projector which really works. I feel fewer vibrations when I touch the aluminium profile.
I have a few additional questions:
1) Calibration: Is that allowed to move/pan tripod between snap calibration panels. The first three panels are great. But after changing panels with a more aggressive angle (the last three panel setups) I would prefer to move down my camera view to have calibration panels again in the centre of the camera view. I`ve read the manual but there is nothing about that.
I try not to touch the scanner when calibrating, and when tilting the panel, I move it away so that its center more or less coincides with the center of the cameras.
2) Do you have any tips on how to restart cameras without plugging off cameras because I have camera freeze very often. I restart the computer because I don`t want to lose my USB ports with often plugin/plugoff. I have 5m cables maybe that is the reason why I have so often camera freeze. I have a very good SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe card (5Gb/s). Cables also should handle that speed.
On long cables, there may be a power drawdown. I use 3m cables - they still work fine. It is also worth checking the settings of the controllers - it is possible that they are not prohibited from switching to power saving mode, and they simply turn off the cameras. To some extent, this problem can be solved by enabling the "Turbo" option in the camera settings in the RV (this should keep them from "falling asleep"). But I don't use this option. Another option - you can try to use "active" cables with external power.
3) Could you recommend to me how to run ScanCenter with Notebook. I have one USB 3.0 in my Notebook and I`m looking for some good USB HUB to use with both Daheng Cameras. For now, nothing works properly and I`m forced to use a PC instead of a Notebook.
One USB3.0 port is most likely not enough to power two such cameras (each of them consumes 0.9A - i.e. the maximum allowable current for one port). Also, the question of the throughput of the port remains open when trying to squeeze uncompressed video from two cameras at the same time through it.
I usually work from a desktop computer. But I checked the scanner and running the software from my old Acer Aspire V3-771G laptop (there are two USB3.0 ports)
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

On long cables, there may be a power drawdown. I use 3m cables - they still work fine. It is also worth checking the settings of the controllers - it is possible that they are not prohibited from switching to power saving mode, and they simply turn off the cameras. To some extent, this problem can be solved by enabling the "Turbo" option in the camera settings in the RV (this should keep them from "falling asleep"). But I don't use this option. Another option - you can try to use "active" cables with external power.
Turbo is turned on by default in ScanCenter. My PC power plan is chosen as high performance (Windows 10 x64) which turns off all eco modes and power-saving modes. I`m not sure about controllers but I will check that.
I try not to touch the scanner when calibrating, and when tilting the panel, I move it away so that its centre more or less coincides with the centre of the cameras.
How much I can move the calibration panel between vertical and tilted modes. I`ve thought that If I`m able to move the base of the calibration panel then it`s equal to moving a tripod with a projector/camera.

Maybe it`s needed to stay the base in the same place and only move calibration panels from vertical to tiled position with remain in the base primary position. What do you think about that?