Laser Projectors and Throw Ratio

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Micr0

Laser Projectors and Throw Ratio

Post by Micr0 »

One of the reasons the LG PF1500 was (is) such a good projector was that aside form a square DLP array, it also had a variable throw that better accommodated our camera lenses than many of the current short throw projector current;y on the market. However I see some of the new 4K projectors, especially the laser based models made by Optoma etc, have throw ratios of 1.6 or better. The only time I tried a laser projector for scanning was years ago and it was horrible. I assumed it was the scanning nature of the laser, but I don't really know.

I'm looking for a new projector, and was wondering if anybody had thoughts on any of the current models, and especially laser based projectors?

Thoughts?
µ
greenskynet

Re: Laser Projectors and Throw Ratio

Post by greenskynet »

Micr0 wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 22:36 One of the reasons the LG PF1500 was (is) such a good projector was that aside form a square DLP array, it also had a variable throw that better accommodated our camera lenses than many of the current short throw projector current;y on the market. However I see some of the new 4K projectors, especially the laser based models made by Optoma etc, have throw ratios of 1.6 or better. The only time I tried a laser projector for scanning was years ago and it was horrible. I assumed it was the scanning nature of the laser, but I don't really know.

I'm looking for a new projector, and was wondering if anybody had thoughts on any of the current models, and especially laser based projectors?

Thoughts?
Hi Micr0
I'm using a Casio XJ-A250v laser projector for about 1 month. but i think laser projectors are not a very good choice.

here you can see the scan result:
This part was about 370kg. Scanned in Modified version of FlexScan3D, reverse engineered in CATIA
viewtopic.php?p=5474#p5474
viewtopic.php?p=5474#p5474

3.jpg
2.jpg
photo_2023-11-05_16-20-21.jpg
photo_2023-11-05_16-20-17.jpg
greenskynet

Re: Laser Projectors and Throw Ratio

Post by greenskynet »

Hi
This is the scan result of a Casio laser projector with HD resolution.
The scan result is very good. the surface quality is good and the details I captured are very satisfying.

The laser projectors are very similar to LED projectors, but they only change the source of the Blue and green light with laser. the Blue light is directly from laser diodes and the green light is obtained by illuminating the blue laser to a phosphoric plate. this technology allow to reach high brightness with a lower weight and cooler device. all other things are the same as a normal LED projector.

Modified Version of FlexScan3D-4.jpg
Modified Version of FlexScan3D-3.jpg
Modified Version of FlexScan3D-2.jpg
Modified Version of FlexScan3D-1.jpg