David > HP 5.1 Update

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Oteck

David > HP 5.1 Update

Post by Oteck »

Anyone tinkered with the new update? they say they improved the dual camera calibration.
Micr0

Re: David > HP 5.1 Update

Post by Micr0 »

Not yet. I can on Friday. I hope they fixed the OptomizeDuelCamera Bug.
µ
avogra
Site Admin

Post by avogra »

Think I will find some time tomorrow :-)
pcproa

Post by pcproa »

Same here. Or more likely the weekend.
avogra
Site Admin

Post by avogra »

Just did some calibration runs and each time scanned a precision right angle.

-> Seems like they got that dual camera thing right :D

I did tests with smaller and larger calibration panels (77.7mm and 211mm) and had "multiple camera optimization" enabled. There are some extra options now for multicamera. I also positioned the panels standing and laying, so that y-axis is vertical or horizontal.
-> The checkerboard pattern shown after calibration was always spot on.
I scanned the precision angle in three orientations each time, so that it was enclosing the x-& y-axis, the y- & z-axis or the z- & x-axis respectively. When I measured the result in geomagic verify viewer, the angle was always very good, in most cases 90° +/- 0,05°. This is far better than the precision of my current calibration panels! Only in two of those scans, it was ~90,2. I think those were both the angle between the two cameras, when the precision right angle was laying flat. I have to get my new rig done, so that i can place one camera above the projector. Anyway, I think this is still fine.
pcproa

Post by pcproa »

I just tried david 5.07 back to back in line with HP 5.1

I didn't really go in depth, I wanted to just see if there were any obvious improvements.

Dual camera on 5.07 took 2 attempts on a positive angle calibration panel to get both cameras to see and calibrate. But I'm used to having the tweak the position a bit so it would calibrate. With scanning I usually have to reduce the outside boundaries of the scan a bit before alignment since it often distorts a bit and this time was no different. Panel was 100mm

I then did 5.1. Same calibration corner, same hardware, same instance. It calibrated instantly without hesitation. I was actually surprised it got it on the first try that I moved it a few times to see if it would still calibrate and it always did. But this needs some more testing on my end to see if it wasn't just a fluke (or a series of flukes)
Scanning didn't require me to trim the outside bounds of each scan to align. It was pretty easy to align. This still needs a lot more testing to verify everything though.

Functional improvement seems to be present. The interface is pretty much unchanged other than references to David changed to HP, as well as buttons and tabs changed from Red to Blue unless I missed some additional things. I'm interested in trying this out a bit more now. I only really got to spend about 1 hour on it today.