Projecting an SLS system: Scanning precision

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
mading

Re: Projecting an SLS system: Scanning precision

Post by mading »

Hi guys,
another question.
I have on old EOS 500d with magic lantern on it.
When I change T and Av live view just give me an exposure simulation. I have to press the Depth-of-field button in order to have the aperture properly set.

Is there a trick for adjusting the aperture other than pressing the button? Looking in forum I did not found anything like this.
For the moment I was not thinking of Image Grabber.

cheers

Francesco
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

you'll need to hold the aperture switch and pull it off while it's held in. and then cover the contact with electrical tape so it doesn't go back when putting it back on. It's annoying and it's half the reason i gave up on the canon setup, aside for the expensive lenses i have david5 now which doesn't even support it (last i check).
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

Hi again

Just bought an uEye camera and trust me raw perfect data is what its all about. All normal cameras boost in the wrong way and make up data to trick you into thinking your getting a better shot (your not) which confuses the hell outa David (He's very naive and doesn't understand why cameras want to lie to get better ratings) All your problems will go away when you use a real camera and the right lenses for the sensor size.
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

I went with an astronomy camera in my case which is perfect for the situation, low noise for high contrast and comes in monochrome. Also comes in usb3 so more framerate at uncompressed rgb
mading

Post by mading »

Just received k132.
Hopefully next week Imaging source dmk 236 will arrive. Together with a Cosmicar 12 mm lens (I hope its resolution will be enough, it's rated 1-2 Mpx) will provide a good start.

I just made some test with logicam 270, but focus is not adjustable. (I think unless you open the case)

Thanks guys!
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Dasq3d

Post by Dasq3d »

Yeah pop the logitech open and have a play.
You will be pleasantly surprised.

You will love the new cam even more when it turns up. Shame there's no global shutter though.
12mm Cosmicar will be quite zoomed in in a 1/2.8 sensor you may want an 6mm at the ready too.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Dasq3d wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 22:03 Hi again

Just bought an uEye camera and trust me raw perfect data is what its all about. All normal cameras boost in the wrong way and make up data to trick you into thinking your getting a better shot (your not) which confuses the hell outa David (He's very naive and doesn't understand why cameras want to lie to get better ratings) All your problems will go away when you use a real camera and the right lenses for the sensor size.
You bring up a point I hadn't though about. If there is any compression or formatting in the data stream from the camera, what is the effect on/in David? IIRC Jeff found that a clean HDMI signal worked better (?) when using DSLR's for capture? Jeff can you expound on this? I looked very quickly through the imaging source published spec sheet, but haven't found anything yet on the data format(s) the cameras use.
µ
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

I would figure the hdmi would be purely unadulterated since it's meant for that kind of bandwidth/stream
mading

Post by mading »

I did it!
I open it and loose the lens. It works!
I made in the spare time. Still don't know how to use fusion properly.
Exciting!
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Oteck wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 15:32 I would figure the hdmi would be purely unadulterated since it's meant for that kind of bandwidth/stream
It's not necessarily compressed, but the HDMI signal carries all sorts of superfluous data. For example control signals, time code and Live view data (camera meta data) etc. Clean HDMI is just the image data.
µ