what is the advantage of 2nd cam in David?

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
spark

what is the advantage of 2nd cam in David?

Post by spark »

Hello, this question is dedicated to all people that are using a dual camera setup.
Can you please tell me about the advantages you have in comparision to a single camera setup?
I mean the difference is roughly estimated much about >1000Euros. Camera + David5 license.

acc david the resolution is still the same?
The setup should be a bit more insentitive against reflections
as the angle is wider - less single scans are required - but if i have to handle every scan as 2 single ones i can also scan once more?!
what is meant by higher accuracy, can you please report about your experiences?

thank you
avogra
Site Admin

Re: what is the advantage of 2nd cam in David?

Post by avogra »

there are two different modes you can use with dual cams.
Extended mode is explained quickly: You do one scan process and get two scans, one from each camera. So you can scan an entire object quicker compared to a single camera.
By default (extended disabled), the images from both cameras are combined into a single scan. Thereby David has redundant information and can validate the results from both images against each other so that in theory there should be less artifacts and false vertices in the final scan.

At the moment the calibration for dual camera seems to be still buggy so that it gives more problems than advantages. I had the feeling that the last update (V5.1.0) has solved those problems, but I only tested calibration, no scans of entire objects. I think micro has still similar problems as before.
spark

Post by spark »

hi, do you recommend to invest in a second camera in order to get more accuracy? (further experiences in 5.1 available?)
regards, spark
avogra
Site Admin

Post by avogra »

I have to admit that I hardly used my scanner since switching to proper industrial cameras. Still busy with to many other projects and I want to change my setup further. The classical faith of hobby projects :cry:

You can always add a second camera though, so I would start out with a single camera setup. I think the new scanning patterns introduced in David 5 had a bigger impact than support for dual cameras.
Do others think in the same way?
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

avogra wrote: 21 Mar 2017, 00:35 I have to admit that I hardly used my scanner since switching to proper industrial cameras. Still busy with to many other projects and I want to change my setup further. The classical faith of hobby projects :cry:

You can always add a second camera though, so I would start out with a single camera setup. I think the new scanning patterns introduced in David 5 had a bigger impact than support for dual cameras.
Do others think in the same way?
When they fix the optimize dual camera thingy it will be great. Right now using a second camera just allows me to scan more area faster. I almost always use it in extended mode.
µ
spark

Post by spark »

thank you, with this suggestion i will wait for the next software update(s)... to start with a second cam.
spark
spark

Post by spark »

now David 5.2 is out, ready to recommendate to buy a second cam? :-)
regards, spark
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Maybe. I'll be doing some extensive work with 5.2 over the next 2 days. Stand by.
µ
WaldoPepper

Post by WaldoPepper »

One question: is it necessary to have two identical cameras & lenses?
Stive_Rad0

Post by Stive_Rad0 »

WaldoPepper wrote: 23 Jun 2017, 08:26 One question: is it necessary to have two identical cameras & lenses?
No. I Use two Different Cameras & Lenses (one 12mm and other 8mm). also on 8mm I should zoom camera (by software/digital zoom) to see as close as 12mm lens.