More Ranting about Davids Calibration

Write here about construction, ideas, equipment, tips n tricks etc. related to structured light scanning
Micr0

More Ranting about Davids Calibration

Post by Micr0 »

The more I see other configurable SL systems the more I have to wonder. With David, when calibration is perfect I can get results that are literally as good as $40k~$60K systems. However that is a big variable. I can get usable calibration easily but really good takes a lot of care. the more SL 3D scanners I see coming to the market the more they all seem to have one thing in common. Their calibration procedure uses only a single flat plate. This eliminates so many variables in terms of precision that I have to wonder. Have any of you had thoughts on this? Have any of you used any of the other SL systems?

I just came across Evixscan today and they too use a flat calibration plate:

http://evixscan3d.com/3d-scanners/accesories/
µ
Stive_Rad0

Re: More Ranting about Davids Calibration

Post by Stive_Rad0 »

Micr0 wrote: 23 Jun 2017, 18:52 The more I see other configurable SL systems the more I have to wonder. With David, when calibration is perfect I can get results that are literally as good as $40k~$60K systems. However that is a big variable. I can get usable calibration easily but really good takes a lot of care. the more SL 3D scanners I see coming to the market the more they all seem to have one thing in common. Their calibration procedure uses only a single flat plate. This eliminates so many variables in terms of precision that I have to wonder. Have any of you had thoughts on this? Have any of you used any of the other SL systems?

I just came across Evixscan today and they too use a flat calibration plate:

http://evixscan3d.com/3d-scanners/accesories/
Hi. I've used some other SL scanner. As you said all of them use single flat calibration panel. it is really better than HP/David calibration method because:
- Manufacturing of calib board is more simple and accurate (+maintenance).
- For calibration you must take several scans/shots of calib board in different positions and angles. So small errors can be eliminated by averaging or other correction method.
- For large object there is no need for a big calib board.
- calibration result is always achieved.
and several more benefits.

Micro, Can you guide us what care should be taken to achieve perfect calibration. Also please help me on my question on troubleshooting forum.