Errant data Points at the edge of window frame Faro M70

Write here about everything related to laser scanning
JohnCBriggs

Errant data Points at the edge of window frame Faro M70

Post by JohnCBriggs »

I wonder if someone might have some insight into this issue.
When scanning buildings, I am finding a significant number of erroneous data points near the edges of windows and doors. I'd love to be able to get rid of these points, but I do not know how best to do it.
Figure 1 shows an example using a Shed. I will highlight the issue by looking at one area near the garage door.
Figure 2 shows the location of interest along with the three scanner locations used to create the point cloud.
Figure 3 shows a top down view of a cross section of the door frame. There are two groups of data points that are sitting out in space and should not be there.
Figure 4 shows the points from scan location 1. There is a line of errant data points in line with the scan direction. This should be a sharp corner. I realize the scanner cannot scan the edge from that angle, but the errant data points should not be there.
Figure 5 shows the points from scan location 2. These points generally look good.
Figure 6 shows the points from scan location 3. Here again there is a line of errant data points that trail off in the scan direction. Some of these points are in the wrong direction by about 3 inches.

If anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated.
Attachments
Fig6.PNG
Fig5.PNG
Fig4.PNG
Fig3.PNG
Fig2.PNG
Fig1.PNG