I am new and this is my scan

What have you scanned recently?
erol

Re: I am new and this is my scan

Post by erol »

Hi everyone and thanks for yours comments.
I use the hp calibration panel. I use conventional measuring instruments such as digital calipers and micrometers in measurements. I use geomagic design x as a reverse engineering program and I do a dimensional check of the scans.

Micro,
How can I open the Debug console. How should the error values be normally? How do you way when you are scanning.

After the calibration, I check the camera opening and scan the calibration panel. I check the angle of the panel scan with geomagic design x.

Hi bigbomber,
You say the right pistons are not the actual diameter is similar to the elipse. I've made a lot of piston molds before . I ran the piston for dual camera test. I'm going to compare it with another object this week.

It will be a responsibility for the camera. The dual camera is active. I made the double camera test with an extended view but it only detects the camera scan on the left, problem for these thin parts. Why does not the hp see the second cameras scan..
How do I activate stereo scanning? Which do you recommend for dual-camera scanning? stereo scan or extended view. Which one do you recommend for precision. (HP 5.4 version)

These values are suitable for scanning (single cam + 240 panel + scanned object 350mm).
Attachments
11.jpg
calib.jpg
erol

Post by erol »

I did this scan on the weekend. I scanned it with a double camera and a turntable and extended view, but hp does not see the second cameras (right camera) scan area.
Attachments
2018-04-07_15-58-38.png
2018-04-07_15-57-38.png
2018-04-07_12-40-38.png
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

bigbomber wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 21:11
erol wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 20:55 Thank you for your advices Micro.

I upgraded my david sls3 scanner with my second camera and david 5.4 software.
I did a few tests today with two cameras and a turntable.

1st test (morning): 70mm piston. The calibration panel angle is 90.05 and the calibration is nice but the accuracy is bad (0,15mm-0,5mm).
(Optimize multi camera calibration: on) :(

2nd test: I made it with 50mm piston. 1st calibration ok but calibration panel angle 90.5 (optimize multi camera calibration: on) :(

3rd test: Same setup as 2nd test 50mm pistons and optimizing multi-camera calibration: off, calibration okay.
               calibration panel angle 90,035
               accuracy: 0,02mm-0,05mm :)

Do you have problems with double camera and turntable? Accuracy is important to me because I do 3d modeling with scans and designing molds
Hi erol and other friends. As I think you are try to judge about your system accuracy regards to scand piston, I can mention that a piston is not a real circle. Actually pistons are made like a ellips to optimize their performance. so if you scaned a piston and for measurment force the CAD software to create perfect circle on the mesh, there will be a cosiderable error on result.
FYI Pistons are indeed cylindrical. Even cast and forged pistons are finish turned on a lathe to bring the skirt and ring lands to spec. I consulted for a company that made aftermarket off road motorcycle parts, including big bore kits. Their pistons were turned on an Integrex in one op.
µ
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

erol wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 09:51 Hi everyone and thanks for yours comments.
I use the hp calibration panel. I use conventional measuring instruments such as digital calipers and micrometers in measurements. I use geomagic design x as a reverse engineering program and I do a dimensional check of the scans.

Micro,
How can I open the Debug console. How should the error values be normally? How do you way when you are scanning.

After the calibration, I check the camera opening and scan the calibration panel. I check the angle of the panel scan with geomagic design x.

Hi bigbomber,
You say the right pistons are not the actual diameter is similar to the elipse. I've made a lot of piston molds before . I ran the piston for dual camera test. I'm going to compare it with another object this week.

It will be a responsibility for the camera. The dual camera is active. I made the double camera test with an extended view but it only detects the camera scan on the left, problem for these thin parts. Why does not the hp see the second cameras scan..
How do I activate stereo scanning? Which do you recommend for dual-camera scanning? stereo scan or extended view. Which one do you recommend for precision. (HP 5.4 version)

These values are suitable for scanning (single cam + 240 panel + scanned object 350mm).
The debug console is found under Setting>Advanced Settings>Service>Show Debug Console>.

BigBomber was actually the one to tell us about using the RMS error value to evaluate the accuracy of calibration. Once I debugged my calibration problems thanks to this I was able to use stereo mode to very hi precision. Surprisingly and opposite to my original experience with dual camera scanning, extend mode now sometimes gives me errors in alignment.

If David is having problem seeing both cameras you may have a driver problem or IRQ conflict.
µ
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

erol wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 09:57 I did this scan on the weekend. I scanned it with a double camera and a turntable and extended view, but hp does not see the second cameras (right camera) scan area.
That loos like an excellent scan. Much improved.
µ
bigbomber

Post by bigbomber »

Micr0 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 11:40 FYI Pistons are indeed cylindrical. Even cast and forged pistons are finish turned on a lathe to bring the skirt and ring lands to spec. I consulted for a company that made aftermarket off road motorcycle parts, including big bore kits. Their pistons were turned on an Integrex in one op.
Piston in room temperature is not completely round. Because the piston is not in a regular shape, and wall thickness and cooling rate can vary in different areas, during warming up, it can be extended variably in different directions. The machining processes are done in the running temperature of piston to ensure the piston will be completely round at the running temperature; but when a piston get cooled down to the room temp, its shape will change to a elliptical shape.
The deformation is different for different materials. AL pistons have a big deformation.