Smoothing too much

What have you scanned recently?
kate_Jelaine

Smoothing too much

Post by kate_Jelaine »

I have a rather complicated geometry with small defects on the surface. I am using FlexScan3D to generate the 3D renderings. What I am finding is that some of the edges around the defect are far too smooth. These edges should be relatively sharp. This issue could be caused from small shadows around the edge of the defect. I use coating spray to decrease the reflectivness but it is still causing the finalized scans to become too smooth. I am using a 100% mesh density with 0% hole fill during finalizing. Does anyone have any tips about possibly camera placement, exposure, or scanning environment?

The attached images show the smoothed edges. In the bottom image, the object on the left is what I am looking to get but the image on the right is what I keep getting. You can see the distinct difference between edge smoothness.
Attachments
edges.PNG
dmenisci.PNG
Micr0

Re: Smoothing too much

Post by Micr0 »

kate_Jelaine wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 14:54 I have a rather complicated geometry with small defects on the surface. I am using FlexScan3D to generate the 3D renderings. What I am finding is that some of the edges around the defect are far too smooth. These edges should be relatively sharp. This issue could be caused from small shadows around the edge of the defect. I use coating spray to decrease the reflectivness but it is still causing the finalized scans to become too smooth. I am using a 100% mesh density with 0% hole fill during finalizing. Does anyone have any tips about possibly camera placement, exposure, or scanning environment?

The attached images show the smoothed edges. In the bottom image, the object on the left is what I am looking to get but the image on the right is what I keep getting. You can see the distinct difference between edge smoothness.
can you turn the brightness of the projector down?
µ