RC Car Component Scan

What have you scanned recently?
hoffybeefe

Re: RC Car Component Scan

Post by hoffybeefe »

Yes of course (re: coating). But i was specifically testing the capabilities to see what settings i had to use so that if i can't coat something then i'd have a chance of being able to get some data in an unoptimal situation. Which i've done a number of times over the years with far more success then one would think with SLS and one of its archillies heels.

Unfortunately even with perfectly coated objects i still get patterns. here is an example with the substitute projector (acer P1340W). I'll upload the DELL M110 sample scan when i get around to changing the setup back.

This was scanned with a single Baslwer Ace acA3088-57um set to 30fps (only just figured out how to set it to an explicit fps in HP3DS and have it save the setting).
Attachments
2021-01-15_11-03-46.png
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

I would like to ask you to try these program settings with your cameras.
I get the best quality scans with them (and the fastest, besides).
My custom settings for HP3Dscan
My custom settings for HP3Dscan
I used them with old Mindvision SUA630-M cameras and current Daheng MER-630 cameras (all these cameras also have a monochrome IMX178 6.3MP sensor). But I did not limit the speed of the cameras (always 60fps), and the time for scanning (from the moment the button was pressed until the object appeared on the screen) was 17-20 seconds.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
hoffybeefe

Post by hoffybeefe »

Hi OBNRacerMan,

I did a test with those settings and it didn't seem to make a difference with regards to the interference pattern.

With the usual "Default" profile selected the scan time from button press to data displaying on screen is about 7.5 seconds (31 patterns with camera set to 30fps). With the settings changed to the ones in your screenshot it takes about 13.5 seconds. I haven't had the patience to try my original setup with the DELL M110 yet.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Hey. I have not tried 30fps with old Mindvision cameras (60fps was optimal for them (120fps when setting the camera resolution to 1920 * 1080)), but with newer cameras, 30fps will only be in 10bit mode (but I usually use 8bit, since it is faster mode, but I did not see the quality change from 10bit).
P.S. This is all about David / HP ... and in the Rangevision software there are no camera settings at all (except for exposure and enabling BIN4 (1544x1032) binning)
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
hoffybeefe

Post by hoffybeefe »

Thats one thing i wish i could get to work with my Basler in DAVID/HP3DS, the resolution changing. I can lower the resolution sliders but the settings don't seem to stick one the dialog is closed. Just like the exposure setting i described above. Which is why i was very surprised that the frame rate setting actually works and is saved. I really wish the other settings were!

The Basler apparently has a feature where you can save the settings to the camera and it'll 'remember' them once it starts up every time. But i can't seem to get that to work either. I was hoping i could get it to work as some kind of workaround for the issue i'm having so i could at least tweak things from the camera's perspective. And then hope that the pattern interference was as projector issue that i'd have to wait to solve by getting yet another projector and trying. *sigh*

So close, yet so far.
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

You can try to contact the person with the nickname @Andrei . in Telegram.
(name with a dot separated by a space)
He also has Basler cameras (but of a different model) and also uses HP3DScan - maybe he can help with something about saving the settings.
hoffybeefe

Post by hoffybeefe »

Hmmm i'm not a user of that program. Would it be possible for you to send him an invite to join this forum perhaps?
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

I asked him about this question, here is his answer:

mine remembers everything except BIT
but there are also 4 virtual cameras in one camera

you have to sit and dig out the manuals and the whole "fence" from the settings

there you can send a command to execute it before starting the camera ... and there, in theory, you can write anything

but this is too difficult for me ... even if I could - it will take too long to figure it out

I did not find a solution, but I heard that there is some "special" firmware that changes this
hoffybeefe

Post by hoffybeefe »

Well that doesn't sound promising! I will keep playing around and hopefully figure something out in my travels. I'm on the fence on buying a dual camera setup and now i'm stuck between getting another camera like i have to save money.. or buying two different cameras with slightly different specs but that allow for 60fps at full resolution (in case i can't change that setting in them either).
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

I probably already wrote that the most hassle-free cameras for working with David / HP (of those that I personally tried) were the Mindvision SUA630M (with a huge bunch of convenient settings).
Daheng MER630 also work, but it is generally difficult to change the resolution in them (but in full, 6.3MP, they calmly give 60fps) and there you have to constantly turn off the sharpness parameter, which, for some reason, turns out to be on all the time.