Handheld scan of a pot

What have you scanned recently?
Alonso

Handheld scan of a pot

Post by Alonso »

Hi everyone!

Some of you may remember the offer that Polyga put out for the custom 3d scanning projector a while back...well, I got one! :mrgreen:

This is a point cloud done on the scanner in handheld mode. It's not perfect but I still wanted to share!
Still need to make some changes but the results are looking promising!
Attachments
FlexScan3D_ywiDfwe7hr.png
FlexScan3D_FHr6T6FC2n.png
OBNRacerMan

Re: Handheld scan of a pot

Post by OBNRacerMan »

An excellent result considering that this scanning system (as a whole) was not originally conceived for such an application.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mading

Post by mading »

Alonso wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 05:05 This is a point cloud done on the scanner in handheld mode. It's not perfect but I still wanted to share!
Still need to make some changes but the results are looking promising!
You did it! Thanks for sharing! Did you use the IS cameras or moved to faster basler?
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

Mading,

The hardware is compatible with Basler cameras only. Handheld scanning requires some seriously fast fps cameras too which really narrows down the choices...

And due to shortages and the state things are in right now, I was extremely lucky to have been able to find a pair of cameras(although I had to buy each camera from 2 different suppliers!).
Most suppliers had a lead time of 10 weeks for a single camera!
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

Nice work Alsono! You’ve achieved something that many big engineering companies have struggled to do!

Well done 👍 - Everything is a bit tricky to get right but this is a seriously nice start.

Cameras supplies are super long lead time right now usually 10 to 20 weeks.
mading

Post by mading »

Alonso wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 11:11 Mading,
The hardware is compatible with Basler cameras only. Handheld scanning requires some seriously fast fps cameras too which really narrows down the choices...
Thanks Alonso
Would you mind to share the model you found?
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

mading wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 14:16
Alonso wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 11:11 Mading,
Thanks Alonso
Would you mind to share the model you found?
I'm running a pair of Basler acA640-750um cameras.
The other choice was acA720-520um but this one I couldn't a pair available to buy off the shelf. Only one supplier had a single camera in stock here in the US. Everybody else had a lead time of a minimum of 10 weeks. I didn't really want to wait that long to try out the scanner :D
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

contactpolyga wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 04:27 Nice work Alsono! You’ve achieved something that many big engineering companies have struggled to do!

Well done 👍 - Everything is a bit tricky to get right but this is a seriously nice start.

Cameras supplies are super long lead time right now usually 10 to 20 weeks.
Thank you!

I appreciate the opportunity as things like this don't happen often!
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

And an update on this cool pot
Re-scanned after the following changes-

Repositioned the cameras
Focus adjustment
Aperture adjustment
Recalibration
Better PC hardware currently on loan to me :mrgreen:

The new pc allowed the scanner to run at the Auto fps setting which gives a nicer scanning experience overall.

The following scan was done in a single capture. No stitching meshes together whatsoever.
Slight smoothing and decimated the mesh to 30%
The pot stands about 277mm tall
Attachments
FlexScan3D_uwRViCh7eL.png
FlexScan3D_u4GTyL4dsJ.png
FlexScan3D_JosAtBHxCj.png
mading

Post by mading »

Amazing.
Also for the tiny resolution of the cameras. A completely different approach to scanning in structured light.

I guess you can use a turntable with continuous rotation, is it implemented already? Or a turntable that rotates as soon as data are captured.

Keep us updated and thanks for the camera info