3D Laser Scanning and modelling of a Old Residential House

What have you scanned recently?
Avianaustralia

3D Laser Scanning and modelling of a Old Residential House

Post by Avianaustralia »

About The Project

The house was being renovated and most of the home was to be demolished and re-designed. The house shares a boundary wall with the neighbouring property that must remain untouched. Our scope was to scan the entire property, both interior and exterior to provide a point cloud and 3D Revit model for the client.

Avian Australia used a portable Leica BLK360 laser scanner and Leica Geosystems TS-16 total station for survey control.

Visit us at https://www.avian.net.au/ for updates on similar ongoing projects. Happy to connect with you all.
Micr0

Re: 3D Laser Scanning and modelling of a Old Residential House

Post by Micr0 »

Cool. Thanks. I'd like to see more of the "reverse engineering" process for architectural projects like this. Whats the work flow once the scan/point cloud is created.
µ
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

One possible way is to use Rhino CAD + Veesus Rhino Plugin + VisualARQ Rhino plugin or use just Revit alone. VisualARQ let you export Revit geometry to Revit (with metadata). You need to overdraw geometry over points what is a manual process (as far I know). Segmenting, slicing, overdrawing, tagging. I would prefer that Rhino way because I hate expensive subs (but I`m an alone freelancer). Revit way alone is more PRO way for sure.

I`ve heard that tagging all created parts is most important in that process because it attaches every part into BIM statistics and queries. After that is possible to know f.e. what is an area of all walls are in the building, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM9w4r1uLSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyu7ZOXECs
mdesign

Post by mdesign »

I`ve forgotten to mention that I had the pleasure to create a meshing process of point cloud like this in free CompareCloud software and clean it up with Zbrush tools but it`s a rare thing like this to use that because meshes are too heavy for BIM purposes. So sliced point clouds should be converted to lines /walls and extruded to omit heavy files as quick as possible. Those tags also include piping and electrical stuff to have queries big treasure for building companies.
gsingh

Post by gsingh »

Avianaustralia wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 01:52 About The Project

The house was being renovated and most of the home was to be demolished and re-designed. The house shares a boundary wall with the neighbouring property that must remain untouched. Our scope was to scan the entire property, both interior and exterior to provide a point cloud and 3D Revit model for the client.

Avian Australia used a portable Leica BLK360 laser scanner and Leica Geosystems TS-16 total station for survey control.

Visit us at https://www.avian.net.au/ for updates on similar ongoing projects. Happy to connect with you all.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Leica BLK360 laser scanner and Leica Geosystems TS-16 total station. It sounds like you were able to quickly and efficiently capture the necessary data for your client's renovation project, even though the house was being demolished and shared a boundary wall that needed to remain untouched.

The BLK360 is a great choice for projects like this because it is portable, easy to use, and produces high-quality data. The TS-16 total station is also a powerful tool for survey control, and it is compatible with the BLK360, which makes it easy to integrate the two devices into your workflow.

I am curious to know more about the specific challenges you faced on this project and how you overcame them. For example, how did you ensure that you captured all of the necessary data without damaging the boundary wall? How did you register your scans accurately? And what did your client think of the final results?