Some scans of Revopoint MINI

What have you scanned recently?
zhuixunyiyi

Some scans of Revopoint MINI

Post by zhuixunyiyi »

Hello everyone!

Revopoint MINI is a laser 3D scanner. Its' accuracy is up to 0.02mm. It raised more than 3.08 million USD on Kickstarter. So, it become the most crowdfunding 3D scanner campaign on Kickstarter.

There are some amazing 3D scanned models from Revopoint MINI:

coin:https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/coinsca ... dc16f5b7d3

Ring: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/ringsca ... 3451d8df5c

Dog sculpture: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/thanos- ... 377dc85b5d
Micr0

Re: Some scans of Revopoint MINI

Post by Micr0 »

zhuixunyiyi wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 13:02 Hello everyone!

Revopoint MINI is a laser 3D scanner. Its' accuracy is up to 0.02mm. It raised more than 3.08 million USD on Kickstarter. So, it become the most crowdfunding 3D scanner campaign on Kickstarter.

There are some amazing 3D scanned models from Revopoint MINI:

coin:https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/coinsca ... dc16f5b7d3

Ring: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/ringsca ... 3451d8df5c

Dog sculpture: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/thanos- ... 377dc85b5d
Thanks for sharing these. Do you work for Revopoint? If so these should be in the manufacturers forum, or at least disclose it in your signature.

BTW I backed the kickstarter for the mini and have a tracking number but haven't received my scanner yet. I'm looking forward to using it.
µ
mr_cg

Post by mr_cg »

The Revopoint Mini is really very interesting 3d scanner due to his portability.
The resolution of the depth camera from the Mini is 1280x800 and the RGB camera has 2MP.

The David SLS-2 cam has quite similar resolution which is 1280x960 and the SLS-3 cam has even 1920x1200.
Is it possible - based on the cam resolution - to somehow conclude about the precision and accuracy?

Would be interesting to know if usage of the Revopoint Mini could provide same or even better resolution compared to SLS-2 and SLS-3 camera.
Not sure if Structured Light Scanner is comparable with Blue Light Scanner like the Mini.
Any comparsion in this regard would be very interesting!
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

mr_cg wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 17:09 Is it possible - based on the cam resolution - to somehow conclude about the precision and accuracy?
Detailing depends not only on the resolution of the cameras, but also on the resolution of the projector. Using an 848*400 projector gives (in relation to a standard SLS scanner) a noticeably worse quality than even with a 1280*800 projector (not to mention FullHD 1920*1080)
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mading

Post by mading »

I received it and tested for a few minutes.
Well, a different beast from DIY structured light scanner.
Now I have to leard how to use it.
I know it's far less detailed than my actual setup (Range Vision). Also is limited in scanning medium and big stuff.

I bought it to scan stuff on the fly (museum, etc..) with a super-portable setup (smartphone/tablet+powerbank).

First impression is that you got decent details, and it's not easy to scan freehand dark objects...
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

mading wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 16:53 I received it and tested for a few minutes.
Does it allow you to work as a handheld scanner?
P.S. In our chat, someone ordered a Mini in an extended configuration (with a stabilizer - but the stabilizer has not been sent yet). And I don't understand how the SLS scanner, which is the Mini, can scan "handheld" even with a stabilizer, if it only has 8-10fps?
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mading

Post by mading »

I am waiting too for the handheld stabilizer.
I just tried a few minutes and I could get some tracking rotating the object by hand and keeping the mini still on its pedestal. Also I got some realistic tracking with the object still and holding by hand.
I am just reporting they shipped it, it's a cool object and now I need to test it.
As a DIYer, I found the tilting turntable a good idea. Very simple in manufacturing. Only recently implemented in SW. But an interesting option.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
mading

Post by mading »

Hi there.
I sold the mini.
For two reasons

1-unable to scan surface I can easily manage with RangeVision: varnished wood

2-handheld scanning needs markers every cm to get a decent tracking. Feature based registration is not working with my objects, which are quite "flat" in most parts. I don't want to attach markers (tons of) to get a final results of less accuracy than with a stationary scanner.

Resolution is good, btw. But I need accuracy also.

I would see an use only if you coat objects, scan small part of the same size of its field of view.

Honestly I was asking too much from a under 1k hand-held scanner. Nevertheless I doubt that the promo pictures are realistic. Scanning a motorbike fender will requires a lot more markers than visible in the picture.

Simply I decided to not invest time in learning how to use it at its best (even af its average..).

See my bicycle details and a bare wood violin part.
Both hand scanned, with enough features to get a decent tracking.
Attachments
IMG_20220918_092916_160.jpg
IMG_20220918_092920_760.jpg
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

mading wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 07:32 Hi there.
I sold the mini.
For two reasons

1-unable to scan surface I can easily manage with RangeVision: varnished wood

2-handheld scanning needs markers every cm to get a decent tracking. Feature based registration is not working with my objects, which are quite "flat" in most parts. I don't want to attach markers (tons of) to get a final results of less accuracy than with a stationary scanner.

Resolution is good, btw. But I need accuracy also.

I would see an use only if you coat objects, scan small part of the same size of its field of view.

Honestly I was asking too much from a under 1k hand-held scanner. Nevertheless I doubt that the promo pictures are realistic. Scanning a motorbike fender will requires a lot more markers than visible in the picture.

Simply I decided to not invest time in learning how to use it at its best (even af its average..).

See my bicycle details and a bare wood violin part.
Both hand scanned, with enough features to get a decent tracking.
Interesting to hear.
Mine just showed up Friday. I messed around with it for only about an hour, so I cant say anything good or bad about it yet. I'm not expecting a handyscan black for the price. :)
µ
mr_cg

Post by mr_cg »

Would be great see more scans done with the mini. Especially technical parts and not the included bust. ;-)
Also it would be interesting to get some more user experiences from people who were using structured light scanner (e.g. david, hp, rangevision, flexscan) until now. Escecially usability and quality would be interesting.

What i really like from the mini is that it's portable and it does not only take pictures but more video like scanning.
Looking forward to get more user experiences in this forum using the mini.