First Scans with Revopoint Mini

What have you scanned recently?
Micr0

First Scans with Revopoint Mini

Post by Micr0 »

I backed th4e kickstarter and got the mini with the 2 ax turntable. it showed up about 2 weeks ago but last night was the first time I had time to do mor than just install it.

It was very easy set up, and unlike some reports i haven't had a single crash or glitch with it. I tried scanning some of the hardware I normally work with which is usually aged brass or iron. It scanned the uncoated surfaces a bit better than my SLS rig, but still had a lot of trouble with getting a lot of the detail. it did much better after I sprayed the pieces (obviously). That said. though it's pretty quick and easy, and I'm sure I have more tweaking I can do, the scans were nowhere as good as I expected. I'll keep refining and see how it goes before making a final judgement.
PXL_20220927_123627948.NIGHT.jpg
MiniScan2.jpg
MiniScan1.jpg
µ
mading

Re: First Scans with Revopoint Mini

Post by mading »

Hi Micr0.
Lost in translation.
Micr0 wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 13:09 the scans were nowhere as good as I expected. I'll keep refining and see how it goes before making a final judgement.
Do you find that the results are not (yet) as good as what you expected?
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

I don't know how much tweaking I can still do. There aren't really that many parameters available to tweak. I've slowed the turntable down to get as many samples as possible during the process, and tried all the different modes. I'll keep messing with it and let you know.

I have to admit that I'm a bit spoiled. both with a very refined SLS rig and scanners that cost 20x as much.
That said. I'd say a large majority of what you are paying for, and the biggest factor in you results is the software. Take a look at what Artec did when they introduced "AI" into their Studio software. I had an EVA and it was already nearly 10 years old when I got it. So the hardware tech isn't what is making that system so much ($20k) better.
µ
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

The fact that this system cannot be compared in quality with a stationary SLS (but gives a result much better than any Sense2) has long been clear. Personally, I am more interested in its declared ability to work as a hand-held scanner, specifically for those places where it is difficult to get close with a full-fledged scanner due to the rather large dimensions of the setup.
P.S. Now the system with a "double" table is already available for purchase on Aliexpress
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mading

Post by mading »

I was fascinated too by the tracking.
edit: I hoped I could use the mini as an hand scanner.
I saw once an old Artec EVA in action, and I was impressed by how easy was to keep the tracking.
I was disappointed by how easy was to loose tracking with the Rev mini, at least with my objects.

edit 2: these day Shining is promoting its Einstar, with a similar toy.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

mading wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 17:20 edit 2: these day Shining is promoting its Einstar, with a similar toy.
It seems to me that Einstar is closer to Revopoint POP2 (both in terms of the size of the scanning area and in terms of the principle of operation in the IR range). And "declared" by manufacturers for scanning for small objects is, first of all, Mini and, to some extent, Creality Lizard.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
mr_cg

Post by mr_cg »

@Micr0
Very interesting feedback from somebody who has experience with SLS scanner.
For the moment i do not see any reason to change from SLS to mini.
When setting up DIY SLS system it's on almost similar price level but much better quality.
Only if high flexibility is needed i think the mini really make sense. Also tilting turntable is really great.
Would love to hear more feedback when you have made more experience with the mini.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

I've been making some progress. There are no a lot of settings to play around with but I re calibrated and have been getting some better scans. The view is so narrow that when using their turntable, which has markers already applied, you have to be far enough away that is starts to warn you that the too far away. otherwise it cant see enough markers to maintain tracking. i solved this by adding more markers to the turntable. even still the frame rate is so slow you have to be pretty careful as to not lose tracking. That said, I'm now getting decent usable results.
MiniScan3.jpg
µ