3D model of bullets to CNC lathe

You don't know yet, which scanning system to buy or build or if 3d scanning is for you at all? Ask here!
Faurh

3D model of bullets to CNC lathe

Post by Faurh »

Hello
I have a machine shop and as a hobby I want to CNC lathe my own bullets for hunting. I have some bullets I would like to scan and get a 3D model of so that I can put it in my CNC lathe.

How do I get those scanned the best way - is there a professional service or something affordable I can buy? It needs to be precise.

Thank you.
andreasfaurholdt@gmail.com
IMG_4241.jpg
Micr0

Re: 3D model of bullets to CNC lathe

Post by Micr0 »

Faurh wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 12:51 Hello
I have a machine shop and as a hobby I want to CNC lathe my own bullets for hunting. I have some bullets I would like to scan and get a 3D model of so that I can put it in my CNC lathe.

How do I get those scanned the best way - is there a professional service or something affordable I can buy? It needs to be precise.

Thank you.

IMG_4241.jpg
You are better off measuring these with a caliper and 3D modeling them directly. It's such a simple shape, there is no reason to reverse engineer them from a scanned mesh. Looking at it, it's a simple revolve with some grooves..
µ
mading

Post by mading »

You coud take pictures (from distance, perpendicular to the revolving axe and with a log focal) and import in a CAD program to define the 2D curve.
This should be the most difficult feature to model starting only from measurements.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Thank you.

IMG_4241.jpg
if you want to scan a single bullet, you can ask a 3D scanning service to do it for you.
But if you want to continue this filed, you definitely need a SLS or laser 3D scanner. You need a 3D scanner for macro scanning. it will not be very expensive. you can make it by yourself and reach 0.002mm~0.01mm accuracy.

scanning of this bullet on a SLS scanner take less than 1 minute, if someone has all necessary hardware and equipped scanner.

other meteorology methods for measurement of such free curved objects, is "Profile Projector system", or you can use Telecentric lenses to take a perpendicular photo and insert it in a CAD software. but these methods are not easy and cheap and also they are not a general solution for measuring objects.

my final suggestion: make a SLS 3D scanner for yourself and use it to scan your bullets and also any other objects you like.

key.jpg
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

mading wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 19:52 You coud take pictures (from distance, perpendicular to the revolving axe and with a log focal) and import in a CAD program to define the 2D curve.
This should be the most difficult feature to model starting only from measurements.
this method needs Telecentric lense, to get accurate result. but by a ordinary photography lens, if you take a photo from a far distance related to object depth (for this bullet the distance must me more than 1.5 meter), you can reduce the errors, but the question is that can you see details of the object from a far distance?
nancyluo

Post by nancyluo »

We are manufacturer of 3D scanner since 2008. And our desktop auto 3D scanner JS300 would be the best choice.
Details you can check this video link: https://youtu.be/YU_B5yRP43Y or PM: whatsapp: 86-15652619522, e-mail: nancy.thunk3d@gmail.com or FB https://www.facebook.com/lanzi.luo.94/
Attachments
QQ图片20220422134851.jpg
300587610_624928559137138_6280290938421919373_n.jpg
QQ图片20210422132945.jpg
QQ图片20210422132950.jpg
Faurh

Post by Faurh »

greenskynet wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 18:36

Thank you.

IMG_4241.jpg
if you want to scan a single bullet, you can ask a 3D scanning service to do it for you.
But if you want to continue this filed, you definitely need a SLS or laser 3D scanner. You need a 3D scanner for macro scanning. it will not be very expensive. you can make it by yourself and reach 0.002mm~0.01mm accuracy.

scanning of this bullet on a SLS scanner take less than 1 minute, if someone has all necessary hardware and equipped scanner.

other meteorology methods for measurement of such free curved objects, is "Profile Projector system", or you can use Telecentric lenses to take a perpendicular photo and insert it in a CAD software. but these methods are not easy and cheap and also they are not a general solution for measuring objects.

my final suggestion: make a SLS 3D scanner for yourself and use it to scan your bullets and also any other objects you like.

key.jpg
Hello
Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful.
Can you recommend a scanner to buy, or the parts to make it?
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Faurh wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 12:08
greenskynet wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 18:36

Thank you.

IMG_4241.jpg

key.jpg
Hello
Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful.
Can you recommend a scanner to buy, or the parts to make it?

Yes surely.
today I have a surprise for you😎😎. so first let me show you my surprise, then we can decide better about scanner selection.
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

greenskynet wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 12:18 Yes surely.
today I have a surprise for you😎😎. so first let me show you my surprise, then we can decide better about scanner selection.
and my surprise: 9mm bullet 3D scanning

This is a fired 9mm bullet. You can clearly see the track of the weapon rifling on it.
This is a completely automatic scanning and calibration process done on a two-axis rotary table in a modified version of FlexScan3D.
Also you can see my new GUI for controlling the two axis turntable. It is very convenient and you can use this GUI to manually rotate the object and scan it in arbitrary positions without losing the correct position and alignment.

Watch this Video: https://youtu.be/mqwGFlz9vig
for more info and watching more results, follow us in Telegram: https://t.me/DIY_3D_Scanner

Bullet FlexScan3D.jpg