3D scanning advice

You don't know yet, which scanning system to buy or build or if 3d scanning is for you at all? Ask here!
dst

3D scanning advice

Post by dst »

I'm new to the 3D scanning world and have been trying to understand all the pros and cons of the various models and systems. I've seen a lot of recommendations for the David systems. However, there's a local distributor for the EviXscan and I was wondering how they compare in general. The budget 3D Heavy Duty Basic seems like it would be well suited to the outdoor applications I had in mind, but it's obviously substantially more expensive. Are there other brands with models which are as sturdy, with a similar resolution, etc? Thanks for your time

Micr0

Re: 3D scanning advice

Post by Micr0 »

Without getting too deep into it, the big advantage of a system like this over say David is that it is plug and play. With the cameras integrated with the projector, the system come per calibrated and that eliminates set up and a potential source of error. what you lose is flexibility. The other factor to consider after that is the software behind the system. after looking at a number of SL systems the actual scanning is the easy part. The software that does the error rejection , alignment, smoothing etc is where the differences seem to lie.
µ
dst

Post by dst »

Right, so there are potentially greater gains to be had by customising every element of the process, but there is a big time penalty?

Is there currently a sweetspot in the software range, comparing price with features? I've seen a couple of free options, but I imagine the algorithms and UI aren't as polished.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Time/Learning. Exactly.The turn key systems like David SLS3 and Flexscan you are paying for the time someone took to figure it out, I bought davids software and spent countless hours troubleshooting and optimizing. I did/do it cause that's what blows my skirt up, and I can't justify spending $$$ on a complete system. I happen to really love the challenge of constantly improving my scans. YMMV
µ