First proper 3D scanning rig

You don't know yet, which scanning system to buy or build or if 3d scanning is for you at all? Ask here!
Derango

First proper 3D scanning rig

Post by Derango »

Hey guys!
I am comparatively new to 3d scanning, but I am experienced both in photography and 3d modelling.
Recently I joined a 3D printing startup and as an expansion of the company we started doing scanning jobs.
We have a "Structure sensor" with an Ipod, but I am far too much of a gearhead / aspire for better quality than to be content with this gear.
Regardless, this equipment seems to be satisfactory for now for scanning human busts / etc, but obviously it is useless for smaller / high detail objects.

What is your take guys, what would be a good option for getting into the game?
It seems like Structured light scanning is the bee's knees.. do you guys have a recommendation in the sub 1000 usd range?

In fact I do have an 1024*768 projector and 2 DSLR's.. is there a ghetto diy setup I could get started experimenting with?

Thx guys!
mading

Re: First proper 3D scanning rig

Post by mading »

Imho Narmella is the answer.
He does wonderful scan using old david version and his software.
You could look for letscan topics in the old david scanner forum.
A single cam and a david 5 license is already above the 1000€ limit.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Derango

Re: First proper 3D scanning rig

Post by Derango »

Thx for the response mading,
What do you say, what would an entry level, more up to date David 5 setup look like / cost (regardless it exceeding 1k euros)?