Best DIY (3d printed) 3D Scanner? With webcam/lasers or with Kinect One or ToF-Smartphone?

You don't know yet, which scanning system to buy or build or if 3d scanning is for you at all? Ask here!
Tobias Claren

Best DIY (3d printed) 3D Scanner? With webcam/lasers or with Kinect One or ToF-Smartphone?

Post by Tobias Claren »

Hello.

What is the best 3D scanner (accuracy) I can build myself? Even with parts from the 3D printer.
It doesn't have to be small.

Is it a setup with a webcam and lasers?
Or are there better 3D scanners that use a Kinect One for Windows or a smartphone with Time of Flight?
I would have both.

I'm not looking for an expensive commercially manufactured professional scanner, but not a toy.
It can also be more complex, including own electronics such as an Arduino, or Pi etc.
OBNRacerMan

Re: Best DIY (3d printed) 3D Scanner? With webcam/lasers or with Kinect One or ToF-Smartphone?

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Hi.
All the equipment that you mentioned - IMHO, is mainly suitable only for the role of a toy.
I have three image depth modules (Kinect xBox360 as well as Intel RealSense SR305 and D415). In addition, I have a very simple (actually toy) laser scanner such as Ciclop. None of them are able to produce anything detailed (compared to the classic full-fledged structured light scanner (SLS)). Even if an inexpensive LED DLP projector is used there and only one webcam with a changed lens, the result will be much better.
Depth sensors are good when you need to scan a person, or objects that do not contain fine or fine details.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
Tobias Claren

Re: Best DIY (3d printed) 3D Scanner? With webcam/lasers or with Kinect One or ToF-Smartphone?

Post by Tobias Claren »

OK...
So what is the best DIY 3D scanner?
With projector (better than SLS?)? Not with a laser?
Tobias Claren

Post by Tobias Claren »

I found this information:

"The advantages of laser triangulation technology are in resolution and accuracy. When it comes to accuracy, it is in the tens of micrometers. Also, it is possible to buy a laser 3D scanner at a very affordable price because its design is very simple can be designed. "
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

The cost of really high-quality laser scanners capable of reproducing small details starts from tens of thousands of dollars - Shining FreeScan X3 - about 36,000 USD ... ScanTech's Prince 775 from 10,000 to 50,000 USD, depending on the modification and software version (there is a separate surcharge for each additional function)

The cost of a homemade SLS scanner with an LED-DLP projector, two fairly high-quality cameras, a pair of good lenses and ready-made software with advanced features is about 2000-2500USD.

P.S. One of my fellow countrymen is developing his own handheld laser scanner (he made all the hardware and wrote the program himself (and the cost of the software is often 70-80% of the cost of the scanner)). And even in this case, the cost of the product is about 4000USD.
https://scanform.ru
Don't think of it as an advertisement - this person did it all alone, which is worthy of respect. And so far he has only the Russian-language version of the site... he simply does not have time to do everything both on the scanner and on the site.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret