Down the 3D Scanning rabbithole..

You don't know yet, which scanning system to buy or build or if 3d scanning is for you at all? Ask here!
britewire

Down the 3D Scanning rabbithole..

Post by britewire »

Hello,

First I would like to introduce myself to this forum. I'm a 41 yo male living in the West of Europe. After getting a 3d printer about 5 years ago, I started designing and reverse engineering parts for classic cars and motorbikes to print and produce in Carbon. Lately I've been looking into photogrammetry and I started building a modification for my 3d printer to be able to automate the picture taking process using a A and C axis manipulator or turntable if you will.

After reading a post on a Facebook group regarding the tolerances of structured light scanning, I started to become interested in this technology and decided to read into this technology. Due to the rather limited information I could find regarding this technology, I was wondering if this tech is still viable and the best option in 2022 for a setup of about 1500 euro's.

Also I am wondering if anybody already tried using Raspberry Pi HQ Camera's (IMX477-AACK CMOS sensor -diagonal 7.857 mm (Type 1/2.3)?

If you are reading this, and you have a interesting piece for me to read, I would love to receive a link.

Thanks.

britewire
greenskynet

Re: Down the 3D Scanning rabbithole..

Post by greenskynet »

you can make very professional and accurate SLS scanner with less than 800 euro's.
you need two cameras + projector + tripod and software + calibration panel.

here in the forum you can find lots of info. this forum is one of the greatest sources about 3d scanners on the internet.

take a look at the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2345
mading

Post by mading »

I started with David/HP scanner, than I sell the license and cameras and moved to a DIY RangeVision.
It's not far from you budget, if you find offers in the projector.

Search for my posts or for RangeVision in this forum.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
britewire

Post by britewire »

greenskynet wrote: 03 May 2022, 18:02 take a look at the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2345
That's great.. Thank you for the link. I will have a lot of questions soon. I need to read further into it first.

What software would you recommend? And which software is best maintained (preferably open source)
britewire

Post by britewire »

mading wrote: 03 May 2022, 20:15

Search for my posts or for RangeVision in this forum.
I will do that. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

britewire wrote: 04 May 2022, 08:06
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2345
That's great.. Thank you for the link. I will have a lot of questions soon. I need to read further into it first.

What software would you recommend? And which software is best maintained (preferably open source)
if you want start scanning soon professionally, you only have two choices for software: FlexScan3D, Rangevision.
both softwares are good. but there are some major and minor differences that make FlexScan superior. for a comparison, you can read the following thread:
viewtopic.php?p=4912#p4912
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2331&p=4919#p4919

Also, Rangevision is a Russian company and as I know at this moment, due to political situation they can't export their products to foreign countries.

also take a look to the following link for modified version of FlexScan:
https://www.3dscanforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2305&start=10
avogra
Site Admin

Post by avogra »

800€ sounds very little. The software would have to be free to get close to that.
britewire

Post by britewire »

greenskynet wrote: 04 May 2022, 12:11
britewire wrote: 04 May 2022, 08:06
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2345

if you want start scanning soon professionally, you only have two choices for software: FlexScan3D, Rangevision.
both softwares are good. but there are some major and minor differences that make FlexScan superior. for a comparison, you can read the following thread:
viewtopic.php?p=4912#p4912
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2331&p=4919#p4919

Also, Rangevision is a Russian company and as I know at this moment, due to political situation they can't export their products to foreign countries.

also take a look to the following link for modified version of FlexScan:
https://www.3dscanforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2305&start=10
Does anybody use 3D Underworld by any chance?