Newbie signing in

You don't know yet, which scanning system to buy or build or if 3d scanning is for you at all? Ask here!
Moto-Mate

Newbie signing in

Post by Moto-Mate »

Hi all,
I will try not to bore you all but am new to the world of 3D scanning.
I own a small motorcycle accessory business and have developed a few of our own products and looking to expand the range and to use a 3d scanner to scan parts of the bike.
The bit I am unsure of and looking for guidance on is using the scan models within CAD to design parts that will fit to or around the original part. So picking up mounting points and component edges to create a new part in CAD.
If any one can advise what would be a useable solution that would be a great start.
Many thanks
Phil
Micr0

Re: Newbie signing in

Post by Micr0 »

Moto-Mate wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 16:15 Hi all,
I will try not to bore you all but am new to the world of 3D scanning.
I own a small motorcycle accessory business and have developed a few of our own products and looking to expand the range and to use a 3d scanner to scan parts of the bike.
The bit I am unsure of and looking for guidance on is using the scan models within CAD to design parts that will fit to or around the original part. So picking up mounting points and component edges to create a new part in CAD.
If any one can advise what would be a useable solution that would be a great start.
Many thanks
Phil
Hi Phil.
What you want to do is definitely very doable, It kind of depends on how much time and money you willing to invest.
What cad package are you using currently?
µ
Moto-Mate

Post by Moto-Mate »

Hi there,
Time is less of an issue than money :-)
So far I have been using Free CAD which has done everything I need but if I need to upgrade then that is not an issue.
It's more about understanding how I can create a separate 3D drawing / model from a scanned file.
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Moto-Mate wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 07:53 Hi there,
So far I have been using Free CAD which has done everything I need but if I need to upgrade then that is not an issue.
It's more about understanding how I can create a separate 3D drawing / model from a scanned file.
it depends on your object and mesh file. for industrial parts, you need to import the scan data to a CAD software like CATIA, Geomagic, NX and ... . then you can redesign/reverse your part on the CAD software.

these softwares also have automatic surfacing factions, but the final result of automatic functions is not perfect.

S11.jpg
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

greenskynet wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 08:39
Moto-Mate wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 07:53 Hi there,
it depends on your object and mesh file. for industrial parts, you need to import the scan data to a CAD software like CATIA, Geomagic, NX and ... . then you can redesign/reverse your part on the CAD software.

these softwares also have automatic surfacing factions, but the final result of automatic functions is not perfect.

S11.jpg
Yes. but I got the impression that he wanted to stay legitimate, and didn't want to spend a lot of money. I doubt he's going to spend $20K for a seat of just one application. Remember, he still has to buy the scanning hardware. Buying something like a scan lizard or a, or revo pop might work for him, and then Mesh mixer, and fusion 360 are the most affordable CAD/processing packages that can reasonably do reverse engineering from mesh data. At least, That's my opinion.
µ
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Micr0 wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 14:35 Buying something like a scan lizard or a, or revo pop
As an owner, among other scanning systems, I can also say that Lizard, despite its very low cost, the lack of software support for working with markers does not allow you to comfortably use this model to scan something large (even with marker simulation enabled due to the built-in into it a monochrome texture camera)
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Micr0 wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 14:35 Yes. but I got the impression that he wanted to stay legitimate, and didn't want to spend a lot of money. I doubt he's going to spend $20K for a seat of just one application. Remember, he still has to buy the scanning hardware. Buying something like a scan lizard or a, or revo pop might work for him, and then Mesh mixer, and fusion 360 are the most affordable CAD/processing packages that can reasonably do reverse engineering from mesh data. At least, That's my opinion.
how are you Micr0 😍
for CAD software, there are many cheaper solutions. but personally I can't imagine my world without CATIA 😂😂😂.

for scanner, I don't know lizard at all, but about revo pop, some of my group members have it, the results are not as accurate as enough for scanning industrial parts. but it can be a point to start.

and based on my experiences, it is better to buy something good for once and use it for ever, instead of wasting time on bad and low quality hardware and tool. it is my personal idea. but there are many other parameters that can affect this method, so it is not absolute