Editing Scans/Editing Meshes

Discussions about software for post-processing, usage of 3d scans and everything else you might do after you have scanned an object.
Tru3DScans

Editing Scans/Editing Meshes

Post by Tru3DScans »

OK, lets say I have a shiny mechanical object (which has some flat surfaces). I coat my shiny object (with spray on powder or shampoo or whatever). Overall, the object is coated and looks good. But in a few spots, the spraying process spit out clumps or splats onto the surface of the object. (Need to start another thread on coating techniques).

You can't interact with the object at this point as it will mess up the coating easily if you try to remove the clumps. You could wash off your object totally and try to spray coat it again and hope for better results... but this is a hassle when most of the object is coated nicely.

So you scan the object and now the scans show the clumps.

When in the fusion mode, the small one spot bumps can be fixed by selecting and deleting the bump faces of the scan, then when fusing these holes can be filled in and the resulting mesh has no bump in that spot. But other clumps or splats are not fixed so easily. If I have a large irregular splat on a flat surface, the 'delete faces and fuse' method will just leave a large area filled in that will probably look very different than the surrounding surface. (Might be better looking than the clump but will still look like a flaw).

Ideally, I would want to edit the scans to not have the bumps, clumps and splats before fusing but I don't think the software has lots of editing features for this (maybe I'm wrong). The other method is to try to edit the resulting mesh to fix these areas.

I have several different software for 3D modeling but I'm wondering what tools/methods you would use to quickly edit out these imperfections?

Thanks for any ideas!
Mike

HP 3D Scan Pro, Dual-Camera, turntable, arm, pitch-black room
Stive_Rad0

Re: Editing Scans/Editing Meshes

Post by Stive_Rad0 »

Tru3DScans wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 17:44 OK, lets say I have a shiny mechanical object (which has some flat surfaces). I coat my shiny object (with spray on powder or shampoo or whatever). Overall, the object is coated and looks good. But in a few spots, the spraying process spit out clumps or splats onto the surface of the object. (Need to start another thread on coating techniques).

You can't interact with the object at this point as it will mess up the coating easily if you try to remove the clumps. You could wash off your object totally and try to spray coat it again and hope for better results... but this is a hassle when most of the object is coated nicely.

So you scan the object and now the scans show the clumps.

When in the fusion mode, the small one spot bumps can be fixed by selecting and deleting the bump faces of the scan, then when fusing these holes can be filled in and the resulting mesh has no bump in that spot. But other clumps or splats are not fixed so easily. If I have a large irregular splat on a flat surface, the 'delete faces and fuse' method will just leave a large area filled in that will probably look very different than the surrounding surface. (Might be better looking than the clump but will still look like a flaw).

Ideally, I would want to edit the scans to not have the bumps, clumps and splats before fusing but I don't think the software has lots of editing features for this (maybe I'm wrong). The other method is to try to edit the resulting mesh to fix these areas.

I have several different software for 3D modeling but I'm wondering what tools/methods you would use to quickly edit out these imperfections?

Thanks for any ideas!
Hi
I use Geomagic for these editions. you can fill holes with several options and method that can create surfaces not so different from real object form.
Tru3DScans

Post by Tru3DScans »

Thanks for this info!

Not sure what the price of Geomagic is? I did a search but there's not much price info.

I am currently using MeshMixer to edit the mesh and it is great for removing small blemishes on the surface. But I have not yet figured out how to deal with holes/filled holes.

Should the holes be left un-filled during fusion then try to fill them with some other tool like MeshMixer or Geomagic? Or should the holes be filled by fusion and edited in another tool to make it match the surrounding surface?
back_casing_scan_03_mesh_screengrab_05.jpg
The above image shows the hole filled by fusion.

Thanks again.
Mike

HP 3D Scan Pro, Dual-Camera, turntable, arm, pitch-black room
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Tru3DScans wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 16:56
Should the holes be left un-filled during fusion then try to fill them with some other tool like MeshMixer or Geomagic? Or should the holes be filled by fusion and edited in another tool to make it match the surrounding surface?
Yes. Look at mesh lab.

Defeature is the function of removing bumps and unwanted things in you mesh (within reason). MeshMixer has that function.

And for inclusions in your spray coat before you scan there are always q-tips (and steady hands).
µ
mading

Post by mading »

I suggest to take a look to GOM Inspect (free):
http://www.gom-inspect.com/en/overview.php
I found 3D mesh processing very fast and effective (thinning and smoothing). I have no deep experience with hole filling options.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable