Reverse Engineering

Discussions about software for post-processing, usage of 3d scans and everything else you might do after you have scanned an object.
Mongrel
Posts: 19
Joined: 30 Nov 2016, 01:10

Reverse Engineering

Post by Mongrel » 08 Dec 2016, 23:37

Hi All,

I've seen on this forum, as was as the old David forum, many of you have scanned engine parts. So my first question is to you all is, do any of you go further with your scans and reverse engineer from them to a CAD file?

If so, my next question is, what software do you use to reverse engineer the part, eg, Geomagic Design X, Spaceclaim , or some other software.

As I'm planning to go down this path, your thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

Mongrel.

Mongrel
Posts: 19
Joined: 30 Nov 2016, 01:10

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by Mongrel » 13 Dec 2016, 20:51

Hi All,

I'm surprised that no one has replied, knowing many of you have engine parts scanned. So if no one is reverse engineering their engine part scans, what are the scans for?

Mongrel.

User avatar
avogra
Site Admin
Posts: 102
Joined: 11 Nov 2016, 17:27
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by avogra » 14 Dec 2016, 09:32

I haven't done any reverse engineering yet. Only some of the members from the old forum have registered here. Maybe those doing reverse engineering haven't moved yet here? Thanks to christmas, I haven't found the time yet to contact more members from the old forum and ask them, if they want to come here. But this is still on my todo-list for the time between christmas and new year :-)

erapip
Posts: 53
Joined: 16 Dec 2016, 07:16

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by erapip » 16 Dec 2016, 14:04

Mostly, I use Geomagic Designe X, SpaceClaim and Rhino for RE of mechanical parts scanned with DAVID. Also, they are used for free-form shapes but I've never had the possibility to work with such parts.
You can see on my FB page: seescanprint3D
Later will post some picture of the RE parts.

PS: Thanks to admin for accepting my request 8-)

User avatar
Micr0
Posts: 427
Joined: 15 Nov 2016, 15:20

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by Micr0 » 16 Dec 2016, 15:28

erapip wrote:Mostly, I use Geomagic Designe X, SpaceClaim and Rhino for RE of mechanical parts scanned with DAVID. Also, they are used for free-form shapes but I've never had the possibility to work with such parts.
You can see on my FB page: seescanprint3D
Later will post some picture of the RE parts.

PS: Thanks to admin for accepting my request 8-)
I looked at your FB. Nice work. Are you using a DSLR with image grabber?
µ

Mongrel
Posts: 19
Joined: 30 Nov 2016, 01:10

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by Mongrel » 19 Dec 2016, 12:07

erapip wrote:Mostly, I use Geomagic Designe X, SpaceClaim and Rhino for RE of mechanical parts scanned with DAVID.
Hi erapip,

Out of Geomagic Design X and SpaceClaim, which do you find the easiest to RE a scan to part?

Mongrel.

Oteck
Posts: 77
Joined: 11 Nov 2016, 21:21

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by Oteck » 19 Dec 2016, 19:19

just a side track but are there other software other than the built in fusion to combine scans? right now it's pretty terrible and prone to crashing

economycar
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Jan 2017, 21:12

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by economycar » 06 Jan 2017, 02:17

Hi, I have not used any of the above mentioned programs but I have been looking into different options and found that many are quite expensive. One option that was particularly interesting to me is a plugin for rhino called mesh2surface. It is inexpensive and it makes sense to if you already use rhino. There are a number of tutorials on youtube. Perhaps someone else here has had experience with the program?

User avatar
Micr0
Posts: 427
Joined: 15 Nov 2016, 15:20

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by Micr0 » 06 Jan 2017, 16:15

economycar wrote:Hi, I have not used any of the above mentioned programs but I have been looking into different options and found that many are quite expensive. One option that was particularly interesting to me is a plugin for rhino called mesh2surface. It is inexpensive and it makes sense to if you already use rhino. There are a number of tutorials on youtube. Perhaps someone else here has had experience with the program?

I don't use Rhino, but so far Spaceclaim looks to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to RE. I used the 30 day demo of Design X. And though great, it is not as fast a process as it seems in the videos and there are many issues they don't tell you about in the demos and tutorials. These can be very frustrating. If it was even $2K it get it in a heart beat, but I've been quoted a seat at $15K+. No comment.
µ

User avatar
Micr0
Posts: 427
Joined: 15 Nov 2016, 15:20

Re: Reverse Engineering

Post by Micr0 » 06 Jan 2017, 16:16

Oteck wrote:just a side track but are there other software other than the built in fusion to combine scans? right now it's pretty terrible and prone to crashing
Mesh mixer will do combining. However I have always fount Davids combine and fusion to be excellent.
µ

Post Reply