FlexScan3D - SLS Scanner Software

contactpolyga

FlexScan3D - SLS Scanner Software

Post by contactpolyga »

Hello all,

We’re Polyga and the current developers of FlexScan3D, a 3D scanner prototyping software package similar to David. It’s primarily been used for building custom and OEM industrial scanning systems of all types. It's powered thousands of scanners for industrial application so the application is quite mature and robust.

We’ve offered FlexScan3D primarily for industrial / professional applications and are evaluating to see if there’s interest to also make it available for education and DIY’ers. We haven’t decided how to best offer the software, or to price it but our goal would be to try to make it accessible to education and DIY applications so we’re gauging interest from existing DAVID users.

We currently support PTGrey/Flir and Basler machine vision cameras in a stereo configuration with most HDMI / DLP projectors. We’re seeing if there's interest in possible support for Imaging Source / DAVID cameras. We likely will not support webcams though... You’ll be able to calibrate using standard checkerboard patterns.

We’re looking at putting a page together on more specifics but in the meantime we have a generic description of the software here or you can find videos on it on youtube. :)
https://www.polyga.com/flexscan3d/

If you’re interested in trying out the software package and have compatible hardware. We can send you a 60 day trial version, email contact@polyga.com and mention this posting here.

* single camera mode is there but it’s pretty much never used or supported, so stereo camera is the only mode we support.

Thomas
mading

Re: FlexScan3D - SLS Scanner Software

Post by mading »

Dear Thomas, your team is very welcome here!
I think that a support for industrial cameras based on Sony IMX178 (Mindvision SUA630 and Daheng MER630) is interesting also.

francesco
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
DenKor

Post by DenKor »

Hi Thomas! DIY is a very interesting direction for a hobby. People cannot afford expensive industrial scanners, but they can try to assemble them themselves using budget components. After all, additive technologies have long been included in our lives and help in many ways. It would be very interesting to see your software for our community too.
We have a group in the telegram messenger https://t.me/Scanner_3D regarding DIY direction. Now it is one of the largest community in Russia (there are also users from other countries) concerning 3D scanning and DIY. We would be very happy if you join and we could help in the development of this direction. Now our members use mainly HP software and more recently RV DIY. I hope that your proposal will also develop in this direction!
Denis.
pottersfriend

Post by pottersfriend »

I started following David 3D many years ago and was sad to see it handed over to HP, where it appears to be dying. I would like to find a DIY alternative that is actively supported. Possibly FlexScan3D will be that for me and others. I would like to see support for Imaging Source cameras since that is what I currently have invested in. Look forward to seeing what comes of this. Thanks for showing / sharing interest.
IS DFK-37BUX178 (2x) w/16mm, Dell M110, LG PF1500, HP3DS, & FS3D
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

mading wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 10:18 Dear Thomas, your team is very welcome here!
I think that a support for industrial cameras based on Sony IMX178 (Mindvision SUA630 and Daheng MER630) is interesting also.

francesco
It's quite a bit of work for us to support specific smaller camera manufacturers, so maybe a generic vision driver like OpenCV could make sense. We actually have some Daheng cameras around, but i don't see an official driver the works.
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

DenKor wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 12:37 Hi Thomas! DIY is a very interesting direction for a hobby. People cannot afford expensive industrial scanners, but they can try to assemble them themselves using budget components. After all, additive technologies have long been included in our lives and help in many ways. It would be very interesting to see your software for our community too.
We have a group in the telegram messenger https://t.me/Scanner_3D regarding DIY direction. Now it is one of the largest community in Russia (there are also users from other countries) concerning 3D scanning and DIY. We would be very happy if you join and we could help in the development of this direction. Now our members use mainly HP software and more recently RV DIY. I hope that your proposal will also develop in this direction!
Denis.
Hey thanks for the invite! Unfortunately i don't speak or read Russian :lol: - Well if anyone gets a system up and running that would be great. I started 3D scanning as a hobby also, so I can definitely relate.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

contactpolyga wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 00:57 Hello all,

We’re Polyga and the current developers of FlexScan3D, a 3D scanner prototyping software package similar to David. It’s primarily been used for building custom and OEM industrial scanning systems of all types. It's powered thousands of scanners for industrial application so the application is quite mature and robust.

We’ve offered FlexScan3D primarily for industrial / professional applications and are evaluating to see if there’s interest to also make it available for education and DIY’ers. We haven’t decided how to best offer the software, or to price it but our goal would be to try to make it accessible to education and DIY applications so we’re gauging interest from existing DAVID users.

We currently support PTGrey/Flir and Basler machine vision cameras in a stereo configuration with most HDMI / DLP projectors. We’re seeing if there's interest in possible support for Imaging Source / DAVID cameras. We likely will not support webcams though... You’ll be able to calibrate using standard checkerboard patterns.

We’re looking at putting a page together on more specifics but in the meantime we have a generic description of the software here or you can find videos on it on youtube. :)
https://www.polyga.com/flexscan3d/

If you’re interested in trying out the software package and have compatible hardware. We can send you a 60 day trial version, email contact@polyga.com and mention this posting here.

* single camera mode is there but it’s pretty much never used or supported, so stereo camera is the only mode we support.

Thomas
Please please PLEASE allow Imaging Source cameras to be compatible with Flexscan3D!

That is something I have wished for for a long time! Hp3DScan is dead at this point and is no where near as mature as fs3d!
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

Okay, understood - IS camera support is important! Talking with our engineers they'll have some time to add add IS / David camera support for the new year.

I'd like to throw out an offer to the community, at this time we don't have any David / IS cameras in house. Is anyone interested in loaning a pair to us for R&D / testing purposes, we'll give you a free copy of FlexScan3D in exchange for loaning us your cameras. If there's no takers we'll buy a new pair but maybe this could help someone who might want FS3D and needs to save some money.

We're in Vancouver, Canada and if you ship it to us, we'll ship it back in a bout 2 months time. We'll cover it if we melt your cameras...
pottersfriend

Post by pottersfriend »

Sent PM.
IS DFK-37BUX178 (2x) w/16mm, Dell M110, LG PF1500, HP3DS, & FS3D
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

We appear to be good for IS cameras for now, thanks for all the offers! :)