DIY turntable with Flexscan3D?

Alonso

DIY turntable with Flexscan3D?

Post by Alonso »

Does FlexScan3D suppose the use of DIY turntables?

Just wondering if this is possible with a turntable running an arduino controller.
hoffybeefe

Re: DIY turntable with Flexscan3D?

Post by hoffybeefe »

I'm wondering this same question as I've built myself an Arduino based rotary table as well. my guess is not at this stage (but we'll see what Polyga say), but would be good if its possible in the future given the recent information.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

I currently have a manual turntable but would like to automate it with leftover electronics from building 3d printers.

Hoffeybeefe, did you find plans online for the turntable you built or is it something you custom designed?
hoffybeefe

Post by hoffybeefe »

i used Arduino code written by other people that i found after many, many months of searching and scouring the internets trying to find something that was worth the time in the complexity that it took to get a result. The mechanical side i just created something completely for my own use. its not quite 100% finished which is mostly due to the fact i can't buy anything at the moment without it taking months (if ever) to arrive and given the lack of electronic stores locally to me.. i'm kinda stuck in not-quite-finished-but-fully-working land.

I did noticed having stumbled across a section in the user manual for FlexScan3D that there is an SDK/API section for rotary table side of things. It appears as though it may be possible for it to work with custom rotary tables. But probably only if some smart person can code in Visual Studio. SO that counts me out big time. :P
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

Hmm I may take a closer look at that then. I do have experience with Visual Studio and a tiny bit of C++...
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

You have a couple options with a DIY turntable.

1) As you've mentioned, you should write your own rotary driver which FS3D will load up and use. There's been many, many drivers written by various individuals so it's pretty straight forward if you can program. -- You can do this if you want to use low cost DC motors or ardrino's, rPI etc.. personally i think a low cost driver board is better option than an Arduino - cost is the same or lower, and has features for preventing motor damage. But of course if you already have an Arduino...

2) If you want something mostly done. I would suggested buying a supported integrated motor Like the AA, or Moons brand NEMA 23 is usually that's used and build up your motion control from there. FS3D has drivers for both brands. If you go through the FlexScan3D scripting interface, you can control up to 4 axis's of motion.

https://www.anaheimautomation.com/produ ... =82&cID=50
or a Moons NEMA 23 STM23S-2AN - integrated motor.

The Moons one is much better but slightly more $$.

3) If you don't want to use an integrated motor there's are some low cost stepper boards that work from https://www.pololu.com/ around $30 -
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

Thank you! I'll look into these options