3D Scanning Projector

contactpolyga

Re: 3D Scanning Projector

Post by contactpolyga »

Yes we have some now, - for now we will make 2 of these projectors available for interested forum users at a DIY price.

Projector is RGB, - You will be able to set it to only use 1 color channel, (R, G or B)
Throw ratio is 1.4 -ish.
Good for 200mm to 800mm
1280x720
Will come with camera triggers cables
FS3D and Basler cameras only, please confirm with us before buying the cameras.

Suitable for stationary or handheld use, (assuming fast cameras)

We were trying to keep the price as low as possible, however with COVID, many of our components went up in price substantially. :|

If you just want the just the bare projector and wires, completely wide open then the price would be $1500 -
It will look like this without the cameras! https://www.polyga.com/wp-content/uploa ... -front.png

Otherwise if you want it as a more ready to go package, the projector enclosure + mounting bar + FS3D, we will put together a package price for you.

If you are serious about purchasing this, then email contact@polyga.com
mading

Post by mading »

Thanks,
As far as I understand:

-the light module is the DLP3010, with these specs:
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dlp30 ... ey.it%252F

-the rest of the Hardware for camera syncro is the same as in your development kit:
https://www.polyga.com/evm-3d-scanner-kit/

I was wondering the effect of projector pixel density on the scan quality.
Usually I try to increase the pixel density as much as possible,with longer lensens I have to keep physically the projector closer to the object. 12 mm with a 1/1.8" is "longer" than a 1.4 throw ratio. with 16 mm it's obviously more evident, especially at 6Mpx.
I see you are succesfully using a 720p projector kept behind the cameras, which I guess are framing only the central part of the projected pattern.

So I am surprised reading 720p and 1.4 throw ratio. I guess I have made many assumptions, and some of them not necessarily true.
I will try keeping the projector behind and in front of the camera and see what happens in terms of detail resolution, at a given camera+lens+binning configuration.

I believe you are offering a very professional solution, a huge step compared to other DIY options. :D
If we consider that 2MPx 160frame/second Basler cameras are around 300€ each, and the rest of the HW+SW needed, a full package is approximately what was necessary for my custom 2Mpx HP3D solution. Can't even compare the specs of the two scanners...
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

Just some small notes.

The Polyga light module is a upgraded and custom design of the DLP 3010 EVM module from TI with many improvements. The stock TI EVM 3010 is not a great scanning engine. :( One of the many problems is that the TI light module is not suitable for long term production. It's for R&D and not stable, it's very large wile being very under powered.

For our projection engine, we have our own light engines which are 2x to 3x brighter than the TI EVM one, while being thermally stable and suitable for long term operation.

On your questions on the projection, yes the projector chip is wide screen, so you can also get a wide aspect ratio camera or use a 4:3 ratio camera and just lose the side projection. The side projections on most optics has serious gamma fall off anyway, so while losing the resolution hurts, it's not as big of a loss as it feels.

If you're waiting for a macro projector, we are in the process of spinning up new versions of our C506 / C504 projectors new applications so those might be available in the future.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

So for hand held scanning with this module, what is the camera fps that is recommended?
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

The acA640-750um or acA720-520um look pretty good to me. :D
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

Wow that is a substantially higher fps than I expected :o

Email sent, btw ;)
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »