3D Scanning Projector

hoffybeefe

Re: 3D Scanning Projector

Post by hoffybeefe »

contactpolyga wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 07:05
hoffybeefe wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 03:14 Awesome. Look forward to more info on this! It looks like something i might have to grab! Especially considering i now have a Basler camera (and i'm highly considering grabbing a second.. just trying to find the pro's and cons of whether i should grab two newer Basler Ace2 cameras that do 60fps instead of the Ace1 i have that does 57.5 (at 6MP mind you). If i could customize the resolution to maximize the frame rate i'd be set... but alas i could nto figure out that in neither HP3DS nor FS3D in the single successful calibration i managed to get due to projector issues.

Subbed!
I think the support guys will hang up the phone if you have 2 different cameras models in one setup... :shock: -- make sure they match!
LOL - oh i meant buy TWO cameras of the newer variant. Not one and match it with the existing. ;)

Are the Ace2 line of Basler's ok? Their prices are a touch better now (been waiting to get solid prices of them since they were showing up months and months ago).
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

contactpolyga wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 01:03 Hi all,

Everyone likes to post their latest scans and tech, unfortunately much of what we do can not be shared. Once in a while we get to do some "personal" type projects also.

So I thought I'd share this new toy we made for ourselves recently. -- What is it you ask? --

It's a custom made projector just for 3D scanning. There's a couple nice little features to this little projector.
  • Aluminum body so it survives and mounts
  • Rigid Mount points for tripods, and camera bars
  • High speed projection -theoretically up to 5000 FPS -
  • GPIO Triggers for your cameras for high speed scanning
  • Fast enough for DIY Handheld Scanning - will post a video later
  • Direct Axis projection, - you don't need to tilt your projector relative to your cameras.
  • Uses latest TI DLP chipsets, (square pixels) - many *new* projectors uses old DLP projection technology
  • Completely linear phase patterns (for accurate scans )
  • Single Cable Control -

We looked at being able to swap lenses, but doing that would increase complexity and cost way too much. :cry:

So just an internal prototype for now possibly for use in a future scanner. If there's interest we will do a limited manufacturing run for DIY'ers who want one, I will post additional test results as we do them. The projector is built of our H3 handheld scanning projector technology so the projector is tuned for speed.

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

This is a slow scan using 3mp cameras.
https://imgur.com/a/4wRolUY

Current Limitations
  • FS3D control only (sorry requires custom drivers)
    Basler Cameras support only
You very much have my attention. :)
µ
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

contactpolyga wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 07:31
contactpolyga wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 07:04 On low cost cameras like HikVision, Daheng and other vendors in China. Some camera models are okay, but limited options, terrible drivers, unstable behavior, tons of headaches. Good for DIY where cost is a critical choice. In short, we're with Basler but we're always looking for better, and lower cost camera vendors to work with. :D
I just read this over and realized, i don';t want to come off as a camera snob and insult anyone's cameras. :oops:

We do buy all these cameras to all the time and they all work pretty well. We're a bit hyper critical because when it doesn;t work we have people screaming at us.... all these cameras vendors that I;ve listed, while they have their faults, by and large are very excellent cameras for 3D scanning.
The consistency and stability issues mirror problems in so many other industries, especially when you are talking Chinese products. It always comes down to "Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick 2".
µ
mading

Post by mading »

contactpolyga wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 01:03
  • High speed projection -theoretically up to 5000 FPS -
  • GPIO Triggers for your cameras for high speed scanning
  • Fast enough for DIY Handheld Scanning - will post a video later
--

So just an internal prototype for now possibly for use in a future scanner. If there's interest we will do a limited manufacturing run for DIY'ers who want one, I will post additional test results as we do them. The projector is built of our H3 handheld scanning projector technology so the projector is tuned for speed.

--

This is a slow scan using 3mp cameras.
https://imgur.com/a/4wRolUY
I was wondering if getting high speed cameras such as the Basler A2A1920-160 could result in an high speed (for medium-bright surfaces) sytem in combination with your projector.
What will be an average scan time for this combination?

And what will be the scan time for a common projector such as LG PF50KS or PF1500?

thanks
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

mading wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 10:38 And what will be the scan time for a common projector such as LG PF50KS or PF1500?
In terms of scanning speed - when I tried to scan (back in HP3DScan) my frame rate was from 60 to 120 fps at a resolution of 1920x1080, I did not get any change in speed, because the projector could only produce 60 fps. At high resolutions (for example - 6.3MP), the overall speed starts to "rest" on the computing power (and even changing my old i7-9700F to i9-10900F) practically did not change anything.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

mading wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 10:38 I was wondering if getting high speed cameras such as the Basler A2A1920-160 could result in an high speed (for medium-bright surfaces) sytem in combination with your projector.What will be an average scan time for this combination?
Depends on your exposure set on the camera, but in this configuration, you can slave the camera exposure time to the projector given the presence of HW triggers on the projector.

This is the same projector that drives our H3 handheld - So you can see it with very fast cameras here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-0c0oW ... nel=Polyga

Sorry i haven't had a chance to make a video demo around this, but random work got crazy. :oops:
mading

Post by mading »

contactpolyga wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 17:46 Depends on your exposure set on the camera, but in this configuration, you can slave the camera exposure time to the projector given the presence of HW triggers on the projector.

This is the same projector that drives our H3 handheld - So you can see it with very fast cameras here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-0c0oW ... nel=Polyga

Sorry i haven't had a chance to make a video demo around this, but random work got crazy. :oops:
That is very interesting.
In the sense that dark surfaces need long exposures (at given aperture and projector brightness)?
How many patterns do you use for getting each surface?

Do you now any commercial DLP that could Hwtrigger a camera?
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
contactpolyga

Post by contactpolyga »

Patterns for each surface is the usual number.. 13.. 14 patterns i think.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

The more I see handheld scanners, the more I want one! :D
mading

Post by mading »

contactpolyga wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 19:02 Patterns for each surface is the usual number.. 13.. 14 patterns i think.
So with 160 fps cameras a scan could last less than 0.1s?