Raptorex's Setup V1

Which equipment do you use for 3D-scanning?
Raptorex

Raptorex's Setup V1

Post by Raptorex »

Hi folks, long time viewer of the forum. This place has been a fantastic resource for me to finally setup a usable 3d scanning setup. A good 3d scanning rig has been the final missing element to my entire 3d design and prototyping workflow, especially for the automotive and automation projects i work on.

I first began a few months ago testing out 3d scanning using a Microsoft kinect and Skanect, and honestly was very surprised with the overall outcome, but it wasnt good enough for me as i needed quality detailed scan for my type of work. I would suggest though this be the first venture everyone should try before digging deep and investing in a proper 3d scanning rig.

My current v1 setup is as follows.

Camera: Point Grey -GS3-U3-50S5M-C - 5MP Monochrome ICX625 C mount 2/3 USB3.0

Lenses:
-Computar 12mm M1214-MP2 (2mp lens)
-Fujinon 16mm HF16SA-1 (5mp lens)

Projector: Epson Powerlite 810p

Software: HP 3d Scan V5.6.0

The projector i plan to upgrade soon, this was just one of the spare projectors i had laying around i was using for testing. Now that i know the camera is compatible and the software works, ill be upgrading to a 1080p projector in the near future.

I made a 22x36" calibration panel and used my plotter to print out the overlay and attach it to the board.

Im on the hunt for a 2nd camera, unfortunately i wish i could put another point grey (flir) cam on it however, i suspect i will run into the issues mentioned by others that HP/David 3D scan wont work with 2 of the Flir cams. When i first started testing out components, i had bought a Mightex MLE-C030-U" and it did not work at all with David/HP. Reason being from what i gather is there are no 64 bit drivers out for that camera, and Mightex was of no help with proving them, they just wanted to sell me a new camera.

Here was a sample scan i did with the Kinect and the front of a vehicle.
cap1.JPG
Once cleaned up, it was somewhat usable in solidworks for mockup purposes.
cap3.JPG
Here is the David/HP scan rig i built. Again this is just V1, but has lots of room for expansion The frame is made from 19mm carbon tubes and adjustable aluminum rail "cheese plates"
IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG
And my first scan subject.
IMG_2211.JPG
cap2.JPG
I still have lots of work to tune in the software and cam setting to get high detailed scans, but i cant complain of the outcome on my first try.

Im on the hunt for a 2nd 5mp 2/3" usb3.0 c mount camera. The 16mm lens seems to be the best fit for this projector setup, but it might change if i swap in a different projector in the future. I will say, this epson being a "multimedia/office/business projector" has fantastic lumen output and i can really close the aperture on the lens and get better focal range.

Next on the to do list is make a rotary table, and pickup some cans of Magnaflux SKD-S2 for surface treatment.
OBNRacerMan

Re: Raptorex's Setup V1

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Hi. Are you sure two Point Gray-GS3-U3-50S5M-C cameras will work simultaneously in the HP3DScan?
The problem with the HP3DScan program code is that cameras using DirectShow must have different names in order to work in it simultaneously.
From cameras of this type, I have come across only one (Mindvision SUA630M), which had the ability to fully change their name by means of the driver (this name was recorded directly into the camera, and was activated after turning off / turning on the camera)
P.S. Simply renaming cameras through the Windows registry does not work in this case.
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
Raptorex

Post by Raptorex »

Correct, i wish i could use 2 of the same, however i suspect that the naming issue would cause that problem like you mentioned above. So i am on the hunt for a different brand of camera, Ive got my eye on a few Imaging Source cams.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing you progress.
µ
Raptorex

Post by Raptorex »

I got around to testing my 2nd lens a few days ago. My previous lens was a Computar 12mm M1214-MP2 and is rated for around a 2mp camera, the newer and larger Fujinon 16mm HF16SA-1 is rated as a 5mp lens, so i wanted to see if i got an improvement in detail.

I had some initial issues setting up the calibration board. The extra zoom was causing some recognition point issues and i had to significantly space back the projector and play with its zoom settings. To me though i think the 16mm would be better suited for outdoor scanning situations where im trying to scan larger objects yet have alot more space to move the tripod and cam around. I need to make some smaller calibration boards so i can test this 16mm lens on smaller scan. My ceramic chicken is almost 20" tall, and barely fits on my manual rotary table.

After doing the scans, and opening them up in solidworks, you can see the noisy surface detail on the 16mm lens. I suspect that i am now starting to hit the resolution wall with my projector; im on the hunt for a nice cheap 1080P unit, as this epson 810p is a massive projector. On the plus side though, the 16mm is substantially larger then the 12mm, and the increased light capture really allows me to have alot more adjustment regarding the f-stop and shutter rates. Using a larger f-stop will allow me to have a larger focal depth when scanning deep objects during rotation.

I have alot of room to continue improving this whole setup, but isnt that the fun of this whole endeavor. The ability to 3d scan will be an important tool in my pocket for the types of jobs and projects i do. I have a v8 engine block to scan which is going to be one of my usefull future projects to do.
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG