David / HP SLS-3 + custom Turntable

Which equipment do you use for 3D-scanning?
Giere23

David / HP SLS-3 + custom Turntable

Post by Giere23 »

Hello
My name is Lukas and I am from Germany. I recently came across this forum and already got some useful information by reading the posts. I have a 3D scanner in use and offer 3D scanning, 3D printing and reverse engineering service with my company in Hamburg.

I would like to shortly introduce my scan setup here:

Projector: -Acer K132 (with David Lense)
Camera1 : David Cam 4M + OMRON 3Z4S-LE ML-1214 12mm f1.4
Camera2 : HP 3D Camera Pro + OMRON 3Z4S-LE ML-1214 12mm f1.4
Software: HP 3D Scan Pro v5

Regarding the lenses, I did not really inform myself in advance and bought them on Ebay. But they seem to work fine. Any suggestions for better lenses?
P1013049.JPG
To mount the hardware I have an adjustable monitor arm in use. The cameras are screwed on adjustable panorama heads. The rail is 480mm long. I ordered the parts from Amazon.

The rail is attached to the monitor arm with a 3D printed adapter and the mounting part from the tripod.
P1013055.JPG
I originally had the DAVID SLS-2 package, which I upgraded with the two higher resolution cameras. I kept the projector and the calibration surfaces.

I also built a semi-automatic turntable. The heart of the turntable is a Syrp Genie mini. This device can be used for panoramic shots with the camera and also has a TurnTable mode. I use this in conjunction with the smartphone app and a 3D-printed plate surface. The Syrp has an output for the shutter signal for DSLR cameras. I connected this output to an Arduino and programmed it to send a HID keyboard signal to the PC (F5) to start scanning. In the Syrp app, the number of photos and thus the angle for the turntable can be set.
P1013059.JPG

I am always very happy to receive suggestions for improvement and will be happy to answer any questions.

Best regards
Lukas
greenskynet

Re: David / HP SLS-3 + custom Turntable

Post by greenskynet »

Hi
As you said you are interested for improvement, I have a big suggestion for you: your hardware are really nice, but the software that you are using for scanning is not really professional.
I suggest you to upgrade your software to "modified version of Flexscan3D" viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2305. I enhanced this version of Flex in several cases, It can support all cameras and projectors.

We have a Telegram group about 3D scanning and also modified version of FelxScan3D. In there I have some friends who has hardware like yours (original DAVID SLS-2 package) and now they are using modified FlexScan and getting really really perfect results.

Our Telegram group address: https://t.me/DIY_3D_Scanner

Now let's tell you why modified FlexScan is much more professional than HP software:

✅ For the first and most important reason please read this post (The biggest difference between HP and FlexScan3D?): viewtopic.php?p=4906#p4906

✅ FlexScan in much more faster than HP. People with hardware like yours feedback to me that by using FlexScan, each scan takes about 8~12 seconds (capturing + processing + alignment totally takes 8~12 seconds).

✅ FlexScan is much more accurate. Due to nature of Calibration method and also data processing of FlexScan3D, it can create very accurate scans, We can get 0.02mm accuracy over a 200mm object. Also Flex has some special advance modules for calibration tuning which allow you to enhance calibration professionally.

✅ FlexScan can support markers for alignment. This is a very important option for fast and easy automatic alignment. markers are automatically detected during scanning process and software use them for very fast alignment.

✅ Flex can support standard automatic turntable (see this video: https://vimeo.com/675602340)

✅ Calibration of Flex is more reliable.

✅ Flex can capture more detail and deep areas in each scan.

✅ Flex can yield sharper edges for scans. specially with your cameras you can get perfect nice sharp scans.

✅ and many other minor an major advantages....

The following scans are done by Erol, a friend from our Telegram group, who is using original DAVID/HP package hardware:

photo_2022-02-09_23-05-28.jpg
photo_2022-02-09_23-05-25.jpg
photo_2022-02-09_23-05-22.jpg
photo_2022-02-09_23-05-14.jpg

Also the following video is about using turntable with modified FlexScan (done by another friend Leo). His hardware is like yours too.
Video: https://vimeo.com/675602340
https://vimeo.com/675602340
Screenshot 2022-02-09 231910.jpg
MaiSobi

Post by MaiSobi »

another thing that we can add to list of Flex advantages is that you can turn off your scanner and some days later just turn it on and start scanning.
I used HP for some years. because of thermal drift of projector, after some minutes my HP scanner loose its calibration and I must recalibrate it.
but in Flex calibration is not related to projector. this means during scanning we can even change projector position and focus without any needs for recalibrating.

So I only calibrate my scanner at beginning of each week and I will have a good calibration till end of the week. But for calibration I capture more than 60 photos, so I will have a very strong and Reliable calibration.
Giere23

Post by Giere23 »

Hi

Thanks for the detailed answer and the software recommendation.

What would the software cost? First I would like to try it out privately

The red camera mount on the last photo would also interest me. Is that a 3D print?

Best Regards
greenskynet

Post by greenskynet »

Giere23 wrote: 16 Feb 2022, 12:14 Hi

Thanks for the detailed answer and the software recommendation.

What would the software cost? First I would like to try it out privately

The red camera mount on the last photo would also interest me. Is that a 3D print?

Best Regards
Hi
Thank you for your interest. for using modified FlexScan3D, please contact me via Telegram. Because first of all in this forum we can't talk about price and related subjects, and also in Telegram I will help people about software installation and probable problems diagnostics.

about the red camera mount, yes it is designed and printed by one of my clients. you can contact him directly for more info.
Douglas Barreiro

Post by Douglas Barreiro »

OI,
Tenho a necessidade de quem possa me ajudar. Adquiri um Scanner 3D DAVID SLS-3 em 2016 em Miami - USA, e no decorrer dos anos por volta de 2018 a HP adquiriu a Empresa DAVID e o produto passou a ser da HP, HP 3D Structured Light Scanner Pro v5. Sempre acionei o software através de um USB DONGLE, onde agora aparece a mensagem de arquivo corrompido e não tenho mais acesso a minha licença.
Tentei todos os canais de comunicação da HP, mas não obtive resposta de como consigo reativar minha licença.
Alguém poderia me dar um caminho para que eu possa reativar minha licença

Best Regards
Douglas Barreiro
Attachments
IMG-8005.JPG
IMG-8006.JPG
IMG-8013.JPG
IMG-8040.JPG
IMG-8041.JPG