Mongrels Setup

Which equipment do you use for 3D-scanning?
Mongrel

Mongrels Setup

Post by Mongrel »

Hi All,

This is my setup that I've just finished and produced my first scan . . . for my wife.
IMG_3256.JPG
IMG_3257.JPG
I designed and 3D printed the mounts for the cameras and LED projector. I also designed a custom turntable top plate for my David TT1 turntable. It screws right onto the top plate of the David turntable. It is CNC milled out of aluminum with a size of 300mm.

The cameras are Imaging Source DMK 23U236. These cameras have a rolling shutter and are much cheaper than Global shutter. Global shutter are designed for fast moving objects, so with the scanning process taking place with the object stationary, so a rolling shutter works fine.
IMG_3258.JPG
The brass broach that I scanned for my wife is 62mm wide. I sprayed one of them with white waterbase marker paint to get the best scan possible. The broach was scanned on both sides as I needed it complete for it to be 3D printed at a smaller size. I am really happy with the final scan result.
IMG_3263.JPG
2016-12-02_09-57-46.png
Because it was printed so small, and it was almost at the limit of my 3D printer. So I've convinced my wife that I now need a 3D resin printer for "her" projects. This will bring my 3D printer count to 3 in my office.
WalterMo

Re: Mongrels Setup

Post by WalterMo »

Hello Mongrel,
You have built-up a very professional setup. Good work!

Which both 3D printer do you already have and which one was used to print the little sailing ship?
What DLP resin printer do you intend to buy (or to build yourself)?

Btw, it's a good idea to "convince" your wife that a high resolution printer is now necessary.
Of course only for her wishes. ;)
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

Great setup !

I love that little flexible hdmi adaptor. I had never seen that before.

I noticed that you have zoom lens.

Do you actually use them as zoom or do you always leave them at the same focal length ?

Jeff
Mongrel

Post by Mongrel »

Hi Walter,

Here are my two printers . . . so far.
IMG_2789.JPG
On the left is a Mankati XT and the right is a Flashforge Creator Pro 2016.

Both printers have a lot of mods added, more so to the Mankati XT. The sailing ship was printed on the Creator Pro. The new resin printer is this one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... escription

After showing my wife the quality of print that "she" would get from the new printer, she said buy it, so how could I say no!

Because you can only upload 5 pic's at a time to each post, I couldn't include in the first post the pic below of the arm setup.
IMG_3264.JPG
This is the same arm that David use, but at a much cheaper price. http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails ... fault.aspx

Instead of a plate on the end that the David one has, I decided to use a geared 3 way Manfrotto head. I also have an extension for the arm, bringing it out further for scanning big objects. http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails ... fault.aspx

Hi Jeff,

Yes I do use the lens as zoom. It enables me to "fill" the scan area with just the part to be scanned.

Here is the link for the HDMI adapter: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Black-HD ... xy4fVTBdJH

Mongrel.
WalterMo

Post by WalterMo »

Hi Mongrel,

The print result of the small sailing ship isn't bad made by a heated filament.
Now I see, a high resolution resin printer shall fill the gap of your both FDM printers.

I had not heard of this Morpheus delta printer before. Interesting to see it. Their presentation and their already printed models look promising and its price is unbeatable low. Do you know how they avoid the caking of the just cured layer of resin on the vat's bottom? This is an old problem of all resin printers. Somewhere I have read something of a foil.

I think in May we will know more when you get your Morpheus delta.

Walter
pcproa

Post by pcproa »

Hi Mongrel,

How is the dual camera setup working out for you? Are you using David 5 or are you using an older version and multiple David instances?

Thanks,

Patrick
Mongrel

Post by Mongrel »

pcproa wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 04:31 Hi Mongrel,

How is the dual camera setup working out for you? Are you using David 5 or are you using an older version and multiple David instances?

Thanks,

Patrick
Hi Patrick,
I'm using David 5.0.7 with the dual camera setup with no problems at all. I'm really happy with the quality of the scans from my setup. Just trying a few different lens at the moment.

Mongrel.
WaldoPepper

Post by WaldoPepper »

Are you satisfied with your projector? How close to your scan object will you get and did you do any modifications to the optics?

Kai
Stive_Rad0

Post by Stive_Rad0 »

Hi. As I can see in photos, you've used varifocal 1/3" Lenses. But as I know your Camera sensors are bigger than 1".
and why 6-60 ? 60 is a very very big focal length for scanning application.
Mongrel

Post by Mongrel »

Stive_Rad0 wrote: 19 Jun 2017, 12:29 Hi. As I can see in photos, you've used varifocal 1/3" Lenses. But as I know your Camera sensors are bigger than 1".
and why 6-60 ? 60 is a very very big focal length for scanning application.
Hi Stive_Rad0,

Funny you should say that about the lens as I just got my two pentax 1:1 8-48mm lenses. I'm now just waiting on the extension rings to arrive in the post. This will bring down the minimum focusing distance.
IMG_3701.JPG
Mongrel.