Show your DIY Calibration board

Which equipment do you use for 3D-scanning?
Oteck

Show your DIY Calibration board

Post by Oteck »

Much like my current setup this is modular, i've been saving up for a while to piece the extruded frames. Luckly 20/80 gave me a 15% off sale on black friday so i took advantage of it.

I need to do a proper alignment and trimming in the board as it's off center and the securing bolts protrudes far out that it prevent me from folding it so I have to be careful using a countersink bit

Ugh why are they upside down, stupid iphone
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG
Mongrel

Re: Show your DIY Calibration board

Post by Mongrel »

Hi Oteck,

These are my DIY calibration boards. The top and bottom brackets are CNC milled from a solid piece of aluminum, to give it a true 90 degree angle. The boards them-self are 6mm aluminum plate with a 45 degree angle on one edge, allowing the two plates to butt up to each other.

When I did my first test scan, I used a cube that was 100mm exactly. When I bought the STL file into Solidworks I measured it and was really happy to find that it measured 100.1 x 100.07 x 100.08mm.
IMG_3280.JPG
IMG_3281.JPG
IMG_3282.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

Great topic !

Some questions:

How is the pattern printed ? On what kind of paper ?
Do you use different printing technique depending on size of panel

How is the print "glued" to the board ? How to have the pattern perfectly square to the panel ? How to have a perfectly flat surface (no bubbles, etc...).

Here is my small calibration panel. I really want to improve my panels.

3D printed brackets / Back of bathroom mirror tiles /Laser printer patterns on paper and glued.
Attachments
Calib-boards.jpg
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

I had mine done at a sign shop printed on a aluminum composite panel of 1/8" thick with a layer of opaque/matt clear. this will remove any shine when scanning. To be accurate it's more like they printed a decal and line it up on the panel, the expensive part is the panel itself.

I wanted this setup to be sturdy, durable, and modular so i went with this over budget route. Already thought of making magnetic sheets that can be stuck on it when needed but i need those materials first
Mongrel

Post by Mongrel »

Curiousjeff wrote:Great topic !

Some questions:

How is the pattern printed ? On what kind of paper ?
Do you use different printing technique depending on size of panel

How is the print "glued" to the board ? How to have the pattern perfectly square to the panel ? How to have a perfectly flat surface (no bubbles, etc...).

Here is my small calibration panel. I really want to improve my panels.

3D printed brackets / Back of bathroom mirror tiles /Laser printer patterns on paper and glued.

Hi Jeff,

My pattern was printed out on my A3 printer and then mat laminated. I used Elmers glue stick, applied to the aluminum plates and also to the laminated sheets. I "applied" the sheet to the plate using a credit card to to push out the bubbles as the sheet went down onto the plate.

Mongrel.