DAVID 5 Calibration Pains

Something doesn't work and you don't know why? Ask here!
patscanner1

DAVID 5 Calibration Pains

Post by patscanner1 »

Hello all,

I just recently got started with a new david 3D scanner (dual camera and turn table additives) for my job but I'm having a lot of issues. Firstly, I cant seem to consistently calibrate the cameras after adjusting the angles. It seemingly sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (I'm sure its not random and im doing something wrong i just cant imagine what). Prior to this week i was able to scan a simple cube but probably due to poor calibration the result was extremely unsatisfactory (background everywhere, turntable showing in unexpected places, images not correctly aligned, etc.) I really would appreciate some kind of help or at tips on how to get better at calibration as its getting quite frustrating (been at it for over a month now).

Software is David/HP Scan Pro 5.6.0 and cameras are DAVID-CAM-4-M and DMK 23UX236 with an ACER K132 projector. main error im struggling with now is calibration markers not shown/visible on one side
Attachments
camera show 1.png
OBNRacerMan

Re: DAVID 5 Calibration Pains

Post by OBNRacerMan »

Judging by your photo, you, at least twice, need to bring the calibration table closer to the scanner. The table (field with dots) should occupy the entire area of the frame (or at least the central part of it, out of four red-blue "frames").
For example, here is how the frame usually looked when I used HP3DScan:
Example 1
Example 1
If this does not work out, then in any case, try to fill in the most part in the frame with the table:
Example 2
Example 2
In some situations, turning the object "sideways" can help (then both cameras see all points much better):
Example 3
Example 3
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
patscanner1

Post by patscanner1 »

I was not able to get it to work on the 30mm resolution but it worked on the 60mm so thank you!

What im scanning is small however so I'm hoping it will still come out ok.

Now im having an issue when scanning, it starts but doesnt continue past first scan. Could it be what im trying to scan is too small for the resolution calibrated?
OBNRacerMan

Post by OBNRacerMan »

patscanner1 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 18:23 it starts but doesnt continue past first scan
Have you turned on the turntable scan mode?
scan mode
scan mode
hp3dscan_19_04.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 9080 times
Soft: RangeVision DIY, Calibration panel/Rotary tables - RangeVision, Prj: LG PF1500G, Cam: Daheng Mercury MER2-630-60U3M-L (USB3.0, monochrome) x2, Obj: ZLKC FM12036MP5 (F2.8/5Mp/12-36mm) x2. And a handheld scanner Creality Ferret
patscanner1

Post by patscanner1 »

Yes, I believe the scan failed due to some poor conditions as i was able to scan something simple and opaque (might have to get some antiglare spray to counteract this) thanks again for the help