Laser projector

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
MaxCFM

Laser projector

Post by MaxCFM »

I've been lurking around this forum for a while, trying to learn as much as I can on various subjects. I bought one of the 3D3 Solutions SLS scanners nearly a decade ago (for the small business that I had at the time). The scanner has been collecting dust for many years but I've recently begun upgrading it for casual/occasional use on projects. I have 2 Point Grey rolling shutter cameras (FL3-U3-32S2M-CS) and an Optoma HD66 DLP projector. I generally scan small objects, usually small engine parts. I see many others forum users are using SLS for engines ;)

The projector is getting old and less reliable and I am looking for a reasonably priced replacement. I've read the posts in the forum about many different projectors but I haven't seen anyone ask about the Epson EpiqVision Mini EF11 laser projector. It's less than $700 and it has a throw ratio of 1:1. Laser projectors don't need to be adjusted for focus, right? It seems like the calibration would be limited to the focus range of the cameras only - instead of the cameras and the projector.

Perhaps there's something that I don't know that disqualifies this projector from consideration but I thought I'd ask about it. Thanks,

Brian
Micr0

Re: Laser projector

Post by Micr0 »

MaxCFM wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 17:21 I've been lurking around this forum for a while, trying to learn as much as I can on various subjects. I bought one of the 3D3 Solutions SLS scanners nearly a decade ago (for the small business that I had at the time). The scanner has been collecting dust for many years but I've recently begun upgrading it for casual/occasional use on projects. I have 2 Point Grey rolling shutter cameras (FL3-U3-32S2M-CS) and an Optoma HD66 DLP projector. I generally scan small objects, usually small engine parts. I see many others forum users are using SLS for engines ;)

The projector is getting old and less reliable and I am looking for a reasonably priced replacement. I've read the posts in the forum about many different projectors but I haven't seen anyone ask about the Epson EpiqVision Mini EF11 laser projector. It's less than $700 and it has a throw ratio of 1:1. Laser projectors don't need to be adjusted for focus, right? It seems like the calibration would be limited to the focus range of the cameras only - instead of the cameras and the projector.

Perhaps there's something that I don't know that disqualifies this projector from consideration but I thought I'd ask about it. Thanks,

Brian
I can't speak to that laser projector, but I have tried 2 so far (A Casio and an early Epson). For reasons I never took the time to figure out, surface distortion was Horrible. The scans were completely unusable. This was maybe 4 years ago, and now there are some very interesting laser base projectors I'd like to try. One thing to note is that the laser is merely the light source. At least in my experience, the projectors still uses the mirror array (and thus has window screening effects you need to evaluate [see square vs diamond pixels]).

If you have a place that has a good return policy, (newegg, B&H) Try one out and return it if it doesn't work well.
µ
MaxCFM

Post by MaxCFM »

That's great information from your experience with other laser projectors. It may be true with the Epson as well. I was thinking along those lines of buying and returning but wasn't sure what retailer would be best. I've bought a ton of computer hardware from Newegg but, thankfully, I haven't had to return anything yet. I don't want to get stuck with a projector that isn't right for what I need. Thanks for the advice.

Brian
MaxCFM

Post by MaxCFM »

Micr0 wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 17:37
I can't speak to that laser projector, but I have tried 2 so far (A Casio and an early Epson). For reasons I never took the time to figure out, surface distortion was Horrible. The scans were completely unusable. This was maybe 4 years ago, and now there are some very interesting laser base projectors I'd like to try. One thing to note is that the laser is merely the light source. At least in my experience, the projectors still uses the mirror array (and thus has window screening effects you need to evaluate [see square vs diamond pixels]).

If you have a place that has a good return policy, (newegg, B&H) Try one out and return it if it doesn't work well.
@Micro, Is this similar to the results you got when you tried a laser projector? I finally got the chance to buy an Epson EF11 laser porojector over the holidays and the results were not good.

Here's a scan of the calibration board in FlexScan3D...

Here's a Styrofoam ball I use to set exposure (I figure a round ball reflects light more equally to both cameras unlike flat surfaces)...

Here's the calibration results from a quick but reasonable effort at calibration...

Image Image

The cameras are Point Grey Flea3 (FL3-U3-32S2M-CS) and the projector is Epson EF11 laser projector. I tried calibrating it a few times with very similar results. I'd really like some help on this. Should I return the EF11 and get an Optoma ML750 or LG equivalent? Is there something that I'm missing or have setup incorrectly? I need to get this working soon for an upcoming side job.

Thanks,

Brian
Attachments
calResult2.png
calResult1.png
styroFoamBall.png
boardScan.png
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

MaxCFM wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 02:03
Micr0 wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 17:37

@Micro, Is this similar to the results you got when you tried a laser projector? I finally got the chance to buy an Epson EF11 laser porojector over the holidays and the results were not good.

Here's a scan of the calibration board in FlexScan3D...

Here's a Styrofoam ball I use to set exposure (I figure a round ball reflects light more equally to both cameras unlike flat surfaces)...

Here's the calibration results from a quick but reasonable effort at calibration...

Image Image

The cameras are Point Grey Flea3 (FL3-U3-32S2M-CS) and the projector is Epson EF11 laser projector. I tried calibrating it a few times with very similar results. I'd really like some help on this. Should I return the EF11 and get an Optoma ML750 or LG equivalent? Is there something that I'm missing or have setup incorrectly? I need to get this working soon for an upcoming side job.

Thanks,

Brian
Yes. That's exactly the problem I had with the Casio laser projector I tried.
µ
MaxCFM

Post by MaxCFM »

Well, I can confirm that the laser source might not be the hot ticket when it comes to SLS projector choice.

I'm returning it and I'm considering these two projectors from AAXA...

The AAXA M6 got great reviews, has a throw ratio of 1.2:1 and is HD 1920x1080 and rated at 1200 lumens
https://www.projectorcentral.com/AAXA-M6.htm

The AAXA 4K1 is more expensive but is higher resolution and it's rated at 1500 lumens

https://www.projectorcentral.com/AAXA-4K1.htm

I really like the AAXA M6 but I can't find it in stock anywhere (that I can find) and who knows when they'll be available again. B&H has the AAXA 4K1 in stock, ready to ship but I'm not sure if my older version of Flexscan3D is capable of using 4k resolution of the 4K1 or if it will cause problems.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Brian
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

I don't know either of those projectors. I have an AAXA p7 and it works great.

http://www.3dscanforum.org/viewtopic.ph ... aaxa#p4052
µ