Camera/Projector Max Resolution and FPS

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
fritts

Camera/Projector Max Resolution and FPS

Post by fritts »

At what point are we going to see diminished returns when upping the resolution of both the camera and projector? Also what FPS are we going to see less of return on time to scan? I'm currently running a brio at 1080 @ 25FPS with K132 in native 1280x800. Scan time I believe is around 20-25 seconds. Trying to determine if I should jump to a lower end IS 33 camera with increased raw resolution or if the K132 is maxed out with it native 1280x800 resolution? Does it make sense to push for high frame rate IS camera if it won't decrease my scan times appreciably? Other thought is the brio may be enough with 1080 @25 FPS and just setup a dual camera instead for increased accuracy in stereo. I am still on a lower version of the HPScan, 5.07 I think. Has stereo been upgraded much with the latest releases?
Curiousjeff

Re: Camera/Projector Max Resolution and FPS

Post by Curiousjeff »

Speed is determined by many factors.

Acquisition speed in David software is determined by

Advanced setting -> Structuredlight -> Acquisition -> Maxpatternholdingtime

Lower value as long as scan is good. Mine is set to 140

With one camera (resolution of 2,048×1,536), the scan time is around 5 seconds for the actual projection of the patterns in default mode (22 patterns).

I don't believe the projector resolution has any influence on speed.

With the correct equipement, speed is not the main problem.

But high camera resolution (4k) does bring about other unwanted artifacts. See my test in the old forum.

When 4k projectors become cheap, we will see if that brings any improvements but I doubt it.

I think Fullhd projector (like the LG) and a resolution from fullhd to 2'048 x 1'536 is about as good as it is going to get with David.

Jeff
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

What Jeff said.

I think the projector rez matters less than the camera resolution. I sometimes go back to using my Optoma ML550 as it can project a smaller focused image. I'd love to try the new IS cameras That are running at 120fps (1920x1200) but I think increasing speed would be better done by David bring back our non-David turn table control and the Align after scan function from David 4.

FWIW My IS cameras are running at 54fps and I have the projector at ~64fps and my scans take about 3sec. That's up from 1.8sec from David 4 btw.
µ
3dscanner

Post by 3dscanner »

hi micr0!
could you please let me know about your camera?which camera model do you use and the version of the software?
can you upload on google drive and give me those single scan or any block and cylinder engine?i'd like to try align those single scan with flexscan
thanks!
girdle2.jpg
Girdle3.jpg