Pointgrey Grasshopper3 3.2 MP

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
Curiousjeff

Re: Pointgrey Grasshopper3 3.2 MP

Post by Curiousjeff »

The chip size is 1/1.8”. The lens is compatible with that chip size.

The lens is recommended for that camera on PointGrey site.

But the capture size of the camera is 2048 x 1536 = 3.1 M pixels. That is my major concern.

It's very hard to get more information on that lens.

I found a user test of the lens on a Pentax Q

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51144302

At f/2, the image (3,265 × 2,449 ) is very sharp.

It seems like a good option for $ 125 (B&H).

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

I finally found the information : 4µm for that lens.

As you mentioned, their other lens with 2.5µm pitch are above $400.-

If only I could test it before committing....

Jeff
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Curiousjeff wrote:I finally found the information : 4µm for that lens.

As you mentioned, their other lens with 2.5µm pitch are above $400.-

If only I could test it before committing....

Jeff
I started with a lens that was spec'ed by my cameras manufacturer and was rated at 5mp. It was nowhere near as good as the lenses I have now that are rated at ~2.85µm. the difference was $130 at B&H and >$400 special order. considering all options the DSLR lenses become attractive but the one plus side to the Machine vision is that the focal range is better. Again DSLR Prime lenses with the right focal length are going to be expensive as you need a super wide with no pincushioning.
µ
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

The lens you are using now is the Fujinon CF16HA ?

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

Just received the two Point Grey :)

I have not purchased the lens yet, so I am 3D printing a Canon to C-mount adaptor just to test.

Without lens, I was able to connect to David.

It's looking good ...(I am keeping my fongers crossed).

Jeff
avogra
Site Admin

Post by avogra »

Yeah :-D Congratulations so far :-)
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Curiousjeff wrote:Just received the two Point Grey :)

I have not purchased the lens yet, so I am 3D printing a Canon to C-mount adaptor just to test.

Without lens, I was able to connect to David.

It's looking good ...(I am keeping my fongers crossed).

Jeff
Once you get your fongers crossed be careful. It is very hard to uncross fongers. :D

I'm very interested in your results with the canon lens. I have an 18mm canon lens I would like to try and may go buy a C mount adapter when I get the chance. The fujinon lenses it turns out was a compromise. I was able to get a couple of very high definition Ricoh lenses but the focal length is not optimal.
µ
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

I will post results shortly, but in my case, this is really only for testing the cameras.

The F/stop of this good lens (Canon Macro 60 mm / 2.8) can only be set with a *trick* on the Canon camera before removing the lens.

There is no way of adjusting the f-stop once it is on the adaptor.

There are some very good lens out there for modern cameras (Panasonic,Canon, etc...) but of course none have a manual adjustment of the f-stop.

With Rodenstock or Schneider, you will have a near perfect lens but ...$$$$$

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommer ... x?CID=1378

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

Nightmare weekend with David, like in the "good" old days.

I received my two PointGrey cameras.

I purchased because:

I saw the great results Micr0 was getting with machine vision cameras
I wanted to use David 5 with two cameras, and did not want to purchase a second HDMI capture card and a second DSLR (GH4)
I was hoping for a faster scan time
I wanted to avoid the setup steps before each scanning sessions with the HDMI capture approach.

Well, it has not been a very successful or fun weekend.

1) David does not correctly reload the settings of the camera at startup. Before starting, I need to check the camera configuration through the Pointgrey software (take a few seconds now that I know what to do)
2) In David, need to change from RGB to YUY2 each time I start David. This will increases the fps rate.
3) I have discovered that the PointGrey Directshow will NOT allow more then one camera per running application. I hope I will hear some news from David or PointGrey to find a solution.
4) Adjusting the frame rate on the camera with a global shutter is more challenging then expected. At first, you see a stroboscopic image until you finally find the EXACT frame rate. Once locked, it should be ok as long as the projector does not do weird things.
5) The FPS in David is 30 fps, I was getting nearly double with the HDMI solution. Nevertheless, the actual capture rate is good. In David , I set a fixed rate at 130.
6) For a short time. I was able to get two cameras working by using a "USB3 Vision" to Directshow software for one of the cameras. But this solution is unstable and not very reliable. The scan from that camera is not as good as the other (identical) camera.
7) In the end,after having purchased three projectors, two HDMI acquisition devices, multiple cameras and spending hundreds of hours testing David, I am starting to believe that probably the best solution would be with two HDMI Inogeni + 2 Nikons

Are two Basler or imagingsource cameras easily recognized by David ?
Can you start scanning as soon as you start David with needing to do adjustments ?

Jeff

Xeon CPU
RAM: 64 GB
Windows 10 / 64b
PCIe USB3 card with Renesas-Chipset
Canon 60 mm macro lens and Minolta 50 mm macro lens (with 3D printed adaptors for C-mount)
Mongrel

Post by Mongrel »

Curiousjeff wrote:Nightmare weekend with David, like in the "good" old days.

I received my two PointGrey cameras.

I purchased because:

I saw the great results Micr0 was getting with machine vision cameras
I wanted to use David 5 with two cameras, and did not want to purchase a second HDMI capture card and a second DSLR (GH4)
I was hoping for a faster scan time
I wanted to avoid the setup steps before each scanning sessions with the HDMI capture approach.

Well, it has not been a very successful or fun weekend.

1) David does not correctly reload the settings of the camera at startup. Before starting, I need to check the camera configuration through the Pointgrey software (take a few seconds now that I know what to do)
2) In David, need to change from RGB to YUY2 each time I start David. This will increases the fps rate.
3) I have discovered that the PointGrey Directshow will NOT allow more then one camera per running application. I hope I will hear some news from David or PointGrey to find a solution.
4) Adjusting the frame rate on the camera with a global shutter is more challenging then expected. At first, you see a stroboscopic image until you finally find the EXACT frame rate. Once locked, it should be ok as long as the projector does not do weird things.
5) The FPS in David is 30 fps, I was getting nearly double with the HDMI solution. Nevertheless, the actual capture rate is good. In David , I set a fixed rate at 130.
6) For a short time. I was able to get two cameras working by using a "USB3 Vision" to Directshow software for one of the cameras. But this solution is unstable and not very reliable. The scan from that camera is not as good as the other (identical) camera.
7) In the end,after having purchased three projectors, two HDMI acquisition devices, multiple cameras and spending hundreds of hours testing David, I am starting to believe that probably the best solution would be with two HDMI Inogeni + 2 Nikons

Are two Basler or imagingsource cameras easily recognized by David ?
Can you start scanning as soon as you start David with needing to do adjustments ?

Jeff

Xeon CPU
RAM: 64 GB
Windows 10 / 64b
PCIe USB3 card with Renesas-Chipset
Canon 60 mm macro lens and Minolta 50 mm macro lens (with 3D printed adaptors for C-mount)
Hi Jeff,

I have two Imaging Source Cameras, DMK 23UX136 (Rolling Shutter). If I don't need to refocus or adjust the cameras and projector when I start David up, I just start scanning.
IMG_3256.JPG
Mongrel.

Intel i7 6 core
RAM: 64GB
Windows 10 64 Bit Anniversary.
PCIE ORICO USB 3 Card