Pointgrey Grasshopper3 3.2 MP

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
Curiousjeff

Pointgrey Grasshopper3 3.2 MP

Post by Curiousjeff »

Two Pointgrey Grasshopper3 USB3, 2048 x 1536 / 121 FPS, global shutter cameras are on sale.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to return them and I don't see any useful information on the old David Forum.

Anybody tested one ?

Jeff
avogra
Site Admin

Re: Pointgrey Grasshopper3 3.2 MP

Post by avogra »

No idea. Are they color or monochrome? I don't know if color might be a disadvantage. Apart from scan quality, texture quality improved a lot, when I switched form Logitech 9000pro webcams (color) to DMK 23UX236 (monochrome). But this might also be because they are the far better cams anyway :-P
I would say that in general those pointgrey should be higher quality than the current David CAM 4.
Oh, and beware of the larger sensor! You will need different lenses!
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

I don't doubt the quality should be very high. This camera has 60% more pixels then a full hd camera and 120 fps. Maybe too much for David actually.

I am concerned that they would not work at all with David.

There was a thread back in 2015 with someone having a connection problem with another Pointgrey. He never confirmed if it was resolved.

I have no lens for that format for the moment. Only DSLR lens.

I'll take it one step at a time. The old David way...

Jeff
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Lenses are a big problem when you get into the Higher resolution/larger sensor cameras. Not be cause they aren't out there but because they are almost impossible to find used and are expensive new. The biggest issue I found is that the lenses themselves are very often not high enough resolution. Even on "megapixel" lenses the MTF can be too low to give detail and "waste" the hi resolution of the cameras. I found that even when lens manufacturers publish the OTF graphs or numbers they are often not annotated well. When i did find lenses that were high resolution and for the appropriate sensor size, they were expensive and only offered in a limited sizes (focal ranges). I partially understand why David chose the camera they did for they HD SLS3 and not the "better" faster global shutter version of the IS camera.
µ
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

I get your point.

I was think of "cheating" actually by putting a DSLR or 4/3 prime lens on the cameras. I assumed that the much higher pixel count on those cameras (16meg-24meg) would force the manufacturers to build lens that could resolve such a high resolution and would be way above the needs of the "only" 3meg camera from PointGrey.

Now you have me doubting....

I got to do more research.

Thanks,
Jeff
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

I found this site that gives you quick specs for regular DSLR:

http://www.digicamdb.com/specs/canon_eos-80d/

The PointGrey is 3.45 µm pixel pitch
GH4 3.74 µm
Canon 80d 3.73 µm

It is going to be a problem finding a good lens.
Oteck

Post by Oteck »

you can slightly correct the focal length on smaller sensors by using speed boosters but those are costly but they give great benefits of allowing more glass and light toward the sensor. They work the opposite ways as a telephoto converter would
Curiousjeff

Post by Curiousjeff »

I finally purchased the two PointGrey Grasshopper for $ 580 for both.

I hope they will work correctly with David.

PointGrey tech support was amazing. I wrote to them. They went and downloaded David to test the camera model.

Now I will go lens hunting.

PointGrey has this lens as compatible with that camera:

Tamron M118FM16, 16mm, 1/1.8", C mount Lens $ 125
http://www.tamron.eu/industrial-optics/ ... ts-lenses/

http://www.tamron.eu/fileadmin/user_upl ... 18FM16.pdf

Has does this sound ?

Jeff
kilrabit

Post by kilrabit »

I tried Point Grey a few years ago. They worked with only one version, and David did not really want to mess with making them work. The Tamron lenses are actually very good. Let us know how they work I would not mind going back to Point Grey because the Tech Support was very good and the updates of the drivers were ongoing all of the time.

Roy
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Curiousjeff wrote:I finally purchased the two PointGrey Grasshopper for $ 580 for both.

I hope they will work correctly with David.

PointGrey tech support was amazing. I wrote to them. They went and downloaded David to test the camera model.

Now I will go lens hunting.

PointGrey has this lens as compatible with that camera:

Tamron M118FM16, 16mm, 1/1.8", C mount Lens $ 125
http://www.tamron.eu/industrial-optics/ ... ts-lenses/

http://www.tamron.eu/fileadmin/user_upl ... 18FM16.pdf

Has does this sound ?

Jeff
What size is the sensor on that camera?

Make sure that lens is good at 3.75µm.
µ