33UX264 camera, advice needed

Discuss about cameras, projectors, calibration panels, turntables etc.
hornetitou

33UX264 camera, advice needed

Post by hornetitou »

Hello,

I use david scanner V3 to do some reverse Engineering of mecanical parts.
the parts are mainly gearboxes parts as selection forks, pinions, alloy casing and parts with a volume from 50x50x50 to 500x500x500mm max.

I already have a K137 projector with the lever modified
A logitech C615 modifyed to mount lens on it

I have a schneider variogon
aperture: f/1.8 to f/16
Focal Length: 12.5-75mm
suitable for sensor of 2/3" CCD
more here :
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... mm_to.html

I want to invest in a more accurate solution and I found this camera:

33UX264:
2,448×2,048 (5 MP) sony CMOS Pregius IMX264LLR
38 fps
global shutter
sensor: 2/3 inch
USB 3.0

is it a good camera?
is it not too much overill?

Thanks for your advice

Best regards
cedric
Shefajs

Re: 33UX264 camera, advice needed

Post by Shefajs »

I have recently tested this camera.

Works fine with David software but You have to install a DirecShow drivers and libraries from their SDK.

The camera has a crazy lot of options that changes the resulting quality a lot.

But very significant are the chosen lenses.
Comparing to the other setup with SLR cameras I have (Panasonic GH4 and Nikon D5300 with Inogeni hdmi capture card) those point grey cameras are prone to noise and unless your setting is perfect You will end up with good quality but grainy surface.
But it was a cheap solution for me as the cameras were around $100 on eBay and I have a pair.
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Shefajs wrote: 08 May 2019, 06:09 I have recently tested this camera.

Works fine with David software but You have to install a DirecShow drivers and libraries from their SDK.

Comparing to the other setup with SLR cameras I have (Panasonic GH4 and Nikon D5300 with Inogeni hdmi capture card) those point grey cameras are prone to noise and unless your setting is perfect You will end up with good quality but grainy surface.
But it was a cheap solution for me as the cameras were around $100 on eBay and I have a pair.
When you get in to the higher resolution cameras lenses become a very important factor with David. Even though David can calibrate around some lens distortion, it it far better to have a little of it as possible to start with. One of the problems with very high resolution cameras (4K+) is that the mirror grid in the projector starts to become a big factor. This is more pronounced with Diamond oriented grids than with square. It shows up as roughness on surfaces in the resulting scans as the diamond patterns aren't able to project as clean vertical boundaries or gradients. Look on the old forum at the experiments with 4K capture from a DSLR. There is a law of diminishing returns with camera resolution. I Just got a preview of Artecs new small object capture rig, the Micro (They obviously named it after me :) It's cameras are about 4K but the light source is a dedicated high resolution blue light projector That appeared to be mirror-less (like these: https://www.opto-e.com/products/LTPRHP3 ... -projector).
µ
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Micr0 wrote: 08 May 2019, 14:35

When you get in to the higher resolution cameras lenses become a very important factor with David. Even though David can calibrate around some lens distortion, it it far better to have a little of it as possible to start with. One of the problems with very high resolution cameras (4K+) is that the mirror grid in the projector starts to become a big factor. This is more pronounced with Diamond oriented grids than with square. It shows up as roughness on surfaces in the resulting scans as the diamond patterns aren't able to project as clean vertical boundaries or gradients. Look on the old forum at the experiments with 4K capture from a DSLR. There is a law of diminishing returns with camera resolution. I Just got a preview of Artecs new small object capture rig, the Micro (They obviously named it after me :) It's cameras are about 4K but the light source is a dedicated high resolution blue light projector That appeared to be mirror-less (like these: https://www.opto-e.com/products/LTPRHP3 ... -projector).
What light source are you using?
µ
Shefajs

Post by Shefajs »

Micr0 wrote: 08 May 2019, 14:49

I’m not sure if You are asking me or the user that started this thread as He specified the projector in the first post.
Anyway I’m using Full HD projector - I have one Optoma and one LG PF1500. On the LG I was facing focusing problems so I have removed the original lenses and I’m using the static 50mm lens from ISCO.

Btw, I have sent you PM regarding the 4K inogeni settings for David, as I remember You or Jeff had it working...could You reply that please?
Shefajs

Post by Shefajs »

Also the K137 projector really is insufficient for those cameras!

It’s maybe a bigger quality bump to update the projector then the cameras....
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

Shefajs wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:30
Micr0 wrote: 08 May 2019, 14:49

I’m not sure if You are asking me or the user that started this thread as He specified the projector in the first post.
Anyway I’m using Full HD projector - I have one Optoma and one LG PF1500. On the LG I was facing focusing problems so I have removed the original lenses and I’m using the static 50mm lens from ISCO.

Btw, I have sent you PM regarding the 4K inogeni settings for David, as I remember You or Jeff had it working...could You reply that please?
Can you post a picture and some details of the lens mod you did to the PF1500? I use the same projector and agree that the lens is weak.
µ
mading

Post by mading »

that is still an interesting topic.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable
Micr0

Post by Micr0 »

mading wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 12:14 that is still an interesting topic.
I reached out to him but he never responded after that last post.
µ
mading

Post by mading »

I will have an LG PF1500 in the nearby soon.
That's why I asked.
LG PF50, LG PF1500, RangeVision DIY: 2x DahengMer630, 2X12 and 2X16 mm 5Mp ZK lenses, RV turntable